Signed Boot-loader?

Last Updated:

1. gamby

gamby Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know if the Droid X is gonna launch with a signed or unsigned boot-loader? If its signed I'll seriously consider passing on this phone for something thats gonna have an active mod community.

Advertisement
  2. h3liumX

h3liumX Active Member

Pretty sure it's signed. Seen a few people mentioning this already. Could be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

3. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

Android Devs are some of the best in the bizz. Even if its signed it'll get cracked.
    plus they didn't sign the Droid, why start now?

4. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

Because they have done it to every device since the orignal Droid including the Milestone. And it took until this month for the Milestone to get cracked.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I remember the post a Motorola tech put on their website stating they always sign the bootloader or make the phone fully locked down. The Droid was the only phone they didn't do this with. She also said that if users want a unlocked phone they should go with the Nexus 1....

I hope that it gets cracked in a timely fashion unlike the Milestone and hopefully whatever exploit used on it will also work on the X.

6. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I truly hope so, it would suck to have to wait as long as they did.

7. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

It didn't take the Incredible that long to be cracked did it? I'm really new at this - perhaps the Incredible hasn't been completely "unlocked" yet. I know with the Milestone they were able to root months ago, but just got the full crack recently.

8. th0r615

th0r615 Well-Known Member

well guess that means moto and Verizon just lost my business until its cracked. I dont understand... I can do whatever I want with my Dell / HP / Acer / ect. computer... I can install whatever OS I want but phones are so locked down?

9. gamby

gamby Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well, i guess its pretty much assumed that its going to have a signed boot-loader =(. My next questions are

1)whats a reasonable time estimate for this phone being rooted?
    2)Would the Moto Milestone method work on the Droid X?
    3)Can you load custom roms onto a phone without fully rooting it?

10. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

1. who knows
    2. it might
    3. no

11. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Active Member

What are you people talking about? As a livid Milestone user, I'm pretty sure that the bootloader hasn't been cracked yet ;)

It's not just locked, but digitally signed - some people found a way to use kexec to boot a second kernel (theoretically bypassing the bootloader), but it doesn't work properly. As of now, there is no way to say that the Milestone or any of the other Moto devices with signed (not just locked, like HTC!) Bootloaders will ever be unlocked for certain... :(