• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Significance of "Move to SD Card"?

uday029

Feb 15, 2011
When I go to Settings->Applications->Manage applications, for certain applications there is an option called "Move to SD Card"?

What is the significance of selecting this option? When I move an app to SD do I just save up some space on my phone's internal memory or is there more to it? Does it effect how the app functions (specially in terms of speed)?

What apps do you typically move to SD card and what apps do you leave on phone?

Thank you all in advance.

Reactions: willi6da
Moving to SD means you reduce the amount of memory space you're using on the phone's internal memory. Most programs are perfectly fine being put on the memory card, if not they will typically not enable it. All my apps on SD work perfectly fine with no reduction of speed. Even though the Inspire has plenty of space, I move everything I can to the card. :D

Reactions: willi6da
Upvote 0
Moving to SD means you reduce the amount of memory space you're using on the phone's internal memory. Most programs are perfectly fine being put on the memory card, if not they will typically not enable it. All my apps on SD work perfectly fine with no reduction of speed. Even though the Inspire has plenty of space, I move everything I can to the card. :D

Im new to Android, I used to have an iphone, (love this new phone by the way) but you say it's plenty of space....I have just a little over 1gb of internal memory...is that plenty of space?!?! Not being sarcastic or anything, just dont know if the Android apps take less memory than iphone apps...or....

Upvote 0
Im new to Android, I used to have an iphone, (love this new phone by the way) but you say it's plenty of space....I have just a little over 1gb of internal memory...is that plenty of space?!?! Not being sarcastic or anything, just dont know if the Android apps take less memory than iphone apps...or....
Yes, you should have around 1gb of space on the phone to install apps. Most apps are anywhere from 20kb to 3mb. There are plenty that are larger than that but they will typically have move to sd. Even at a couple mb's per app, a 1000mb's is a fair amount of room. There are alot of phones that have far less than that available, people get the install error message of not enough memory. Even with all that memory, I still move everything I can to my sd card. I use a 32gb card and have it loaded with tons of music, movies and pics. Phone memory for apps I can't move, sd card for everything else.
And congrats on making the switch, you'll be happy with it!

Upvote 0
very useful feature. but just know that if you move an app that also has a widget available for it, you may not be able to access the widget unless you uninstall then reinstall the app.
like Pandora for example. i had it set as a widget on my homescreen. then while i was looking through my applications i saw that i could move it to my SD card. so i did. afterwards when i went to play the widget it was unresponsive. so i removed it. then i went to put the widget back on the homescreen, Pandora wasn't even in the list of widgets.
i only solved this problem by uninstalling then reinstalling Pandora on my phone and not moving it into my SD card.

Reactions: VeryProudOfYa
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones