Significant 4G increases lately (caused by Froyo?)

Last Updated:

1. gamblor01

gamblor01 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone noticed significant 4G speed increases lately? I live in Austin, Texas and have been consistently getting 2-3 Mbps on the 4G network ever since I bought my phone. The best download speed I reached in the past was 4.4 Mbps (once), though my co-worker hit 5.6 once as well.

Last night (after my upgrade to Froyo) I ran a speed test to show a friend the 4G network and I hit 8.1 Mbps! YES YOU HEARD ME CORRECTLY...8.1 Mbps down!

I ran another test this morning while sitting at a light near my house and it was 6.4 Mbps. I'm not sure if Sprint has recently changed something or if this was caused by the update to Android 2.2 (Froyo). The 2.2 update was definitely the only thing that I personally changed yesterday. Maybe Sprint performed some updates as well. But 6-8 Mbps is double the fastest speeds that I had seen previously! :D

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

ive had some speed increases too but it may be from the new wimax radio

3. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

I hit 10.5 mbps this morning!!

4. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Mine didnt immediately increase after installing FroYo but recently I have noticed a bump in speed. Im thinking it has more to do with network upgrades than the OS itself.

5. hankbear

hankbear Active Member

I can confirm that it has to be the Froyo update. Specific spots in houses that used to barely work or work very slowly now give me good speeds, and I, too, have seen 8Mbps in one spot that once was around 3Mbps.

6. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Add one more to the 8.1Mbps on 4g. I saw it yesterday morning. Previous best was 4.5Mbps. My 3g is faster taken in all the same places as well. I used to get .6-.8 laying in my bed and I'm now getting over 1mbps in my house for the first time (I live just outside of 4g coverage).

7. JLKing

JLKing Member

I too have noticed a marked increase in 4G within the last couple days. I live on the edge of 4G and usually had to go outside to get a signal but now I get at least a fair signal throughout the house. Right after the 2.2 update I saw a slight increase and then the big increase. May it needed to warm up :)