• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SIII freezes coming from blank, locked screen

mikeyg00

Dec 28, 2012
This is frustrating....

I'm on my second SIII. Carrier is Verizon. Both phones came from Best Buy.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4, which locked up on me maybe twice in 2 1/2 years...

The first SIII locked up continuously. Not from within an application, but trying to resume from a blank, locked screen. When I hit the Home button, the Back and Menu buttons light up, but the phone becomes completely inoperational. I can't even hold down the power button to reboot. I have to yank the battery.

The replacement SIII locks less frequently.... but in 2 months or so of ownership, it's locked probably 30 times... less frequently than the first one, but unacceptable ... especially compared to the iPhone.

The only app that I've installed on both phones was facebook. I uninstalled it, and the phone locked up about 1/2 hour later... so i don't think it's an app..... I don't install lesser known apps.... only recognized popular ones that should be well field-tested.

I'm about to sell it and go back to the iphone (5 this time)...

Anyone else have this problem? I've spoken to other Android users, and they say that what I am experiencing is unusual.... but it's now happened to me on two separate phones.

was it their $99 one day special? I'm beginning to think they're recycling 'bad' returns for cheap. The plastic was on the phone but that could be faked.

I researched the motherboard failure threads, and those are causing the phone to die, 100%.... I'm able to recover by pulling the battery, but is it just a matter of time before the motherboards dies...?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones