• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silence - on the dock

mahashel

Nov 10, 2009
I really enjoy using my Droid as an alarm clock while docked. However, I find the notification sounds quite disruptive while I'm sleeping. (since the phone is on the nightstand, essentially right next to my head)
Does anyone know of a way to set the phone so that it enters "silent" mode automatically as soon as it's docked? Yes, I know I could silence it a couple different ways *before* docking it, but I frequently forget to do this, which is typically about the time I receive a dozen emails at 3am. Gah!
"Silent" mode still allows the alarm clock notification to sound, so it seems like the perfect state for the phone to be in while docked.
(or it should at least include a setting for toggling the auto-silence@dock mode)

Locale now has a plugin for the dock that allows you to set up specific settings once you put your droid on the docking station.

the plugin is $0.99 which isn't too bad. the crappy part is that now locale is $10 which is pretty insane, and from what i gathered you have to have the paid version to add the docking plugin.

Upvote 0
Locale now has a plugin for the dock that allows you to set up specific settings once you put your droid on the docking station.

the plugin is $0.99 which isn't too bad. the crappy part is that now locale is $10 which is pretty insane, and from what i gathered you have to have the paid version to add the docking plugin.

Can you provide a link for the plugin??

Phil

Upvote 0
Try this app Silence When Docked

SilenceWhenDockedPreferences.png

Upvote 0
How is it working for you ?

Worked great the first night. Docked it and the phone automatically went silenced until 8am (which I left as the default "un-silence" time).

I docked it last night and all went well, but I got an audible email notification at 6:30am, so something went awry in the night. (12am-8am silence window setting has not changed)

I'll keep playing with it. Is there anything I can send you to help with this, Linuxwarrior? Does the app output any kind of log file? I'm running Bugless Beast v0.5 (froyo), so I wonder if its more aggressive process manager is killing the app over time. For now, I might try launching & exiting Silence When Docked right before I dock it, just to make sure it's running before I go to bed.

Oh, and thanks for writing this app! :D

Upvote 0
Worked great the first night. Docked it and the phone automatically went silenced until 8am (which I left as the default "un-silence" time).

I docked it last night and all went well, but I got an audible email notification at 6:30am, so something went awry in the night. (12am-8am silence window setting has not changed)

I'll keep playing with it. Is there anything I can send you to help with this, Linuxwarrior? Does the app output any kind of log file? I'm running Bugless Beast v0.5 (froyo), so I wonder if its more aggressive process manager is killing the app over time. For now, I might try launching & exiting Silence When Docked right before I dock it, just to make sure it's running before I go to bed.

Oh, and thanks for writing this app! :D

Sure I can help ! Please follow up with me at my nick at hotmail.com and we'll see that your particular set up works fine.

The application does not need to be running in the background, It schedules events with the Android OS to be started when the time is right or the dock/power events occur.

Thanks for your feedback.
I am looking forward to getting the details.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem but still somewhat different from others on this same subject. While on the docking station next to my bed and when in Silent Mode everything, including phone calls, are placed in silent mode with the exception of Media and alarms. However, I would like to be able to pick and choose functions I wish to be silent and other functions I wish to be operational. Example: I would like to have emails and SMS in silent mode but still be able to receive phone calls (in case of family emergencies). Is there a way to accomplish this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones