Silent cameraSupport

1. primeprover

primeprover Member

Hi, I need to be able to take photos with my GT540 during school silently(my teachers know but still musn't hear). I have searched high and low on the android market for a camera app that will take pictures silently or a program that will mute the default camera program(preferable option) Many claim to do what I need but none seem to succeed in taking a silent photo. Anyone using a free silent camera app for a non-rooted android 2.1 GT540?

Advertisement
    :
  2. dudeman1996

dudeman1996 Well-Known Member

Sorry, there's no way to do it.. I had the exact same problem as you, there isn't a way to turn off the camera sound in 2.1. However, if you upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3 (2.3 link 2.2 link) and you put the phone into silent mode, the camera won't make a sound when you take pictures :D
  3. lukemovement

lukemovement Well-Known Member

There is one way. Go into terminal and type

Su

Find / -name camera

This will find were your camera file is. Copy it, back it up and use a music edditing software to make the sound silent then replace it. You'll probable have to use root explorer to mount system as R/W to copy it first.

I said back it up because I haven't tryed this yet.
    *ROOT required*
  4. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

There is another way... First you need to be rooted... Then Download & Install Root Explorer(Post #2 here: http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-gt540/238374-youtube-v2-0-26-android-2-1-a.html)... Open it... Press the "Mount R/W" Button on top... Navigate to "/data/local/tmp/3rd_party/Arcsoft/Camera/"... Now, long press on "camera.conf">select "Open in Text Editor"... Change shutter_sound=1 to shutter_sound=0... Then Save & Exit... Done! No more annoying Shutter Sound.. :D