• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silent Mode - my Droid keeps defaulting to it

Gadget4500

Lurker
Feb 10, 2015
I have the same problem. My phone is a Droid Maxx running Android ver 4.4.4. I believe this is an OS problem but have learned the way the phone is turned off is key to avoiding the problem.

Depending on how long I hold the power button down 1 of 3 things will happen. A brief press of less than a second and release puts the phone into a sleep mode blanking the screen and disabling its touch sensitivity.

A press of more than a second but less than 8 seconds gives a popup. Using the popup spells trouble. More later.

A press and hold of more than 8 seconds powers down the phone. If I power down the phone this way it always restarts in the last mode it was in before powering down. If in silent mode it stays in silent mode. If in audible mode it stays audible. This is the way I will power down from now on.

The popup you get if you hold the power button down between 1 and 8 seconds gives the choices of power off, airplane mode or silent, vibrate and audible modes. If you select power off it asks for a confirmation. After powering down this way my phone always powers back up in silent mode. It does this whether you were in audible, vibrate, or silent mode when you powered off. So watch out. I don't believe the OS should perform this way, but it does so I'll avoid it from now on.

The behavior that you describe does not happen on my phone. If I power off the standard way - long press power, choose power off from the dialog, and confirm - it always powers back on in the sound state it was in at the time I powered off. I wonder if you have an app that is doing this somehow? Do you have any apps that allow you to change to and from silent mode?

A long press of power for greater than 7 seconds is designed only to be used when the phone is unresponsive. It does not do an orderly shut down of running processes and I would counsel against it. It's the way to do the equivalent of pulling the battery on a phone that has a non-removable battery, like the Droid Maxx.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones