• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Silly 'image recovery whilst retaining root' question with S-Off

Rachel A

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2010
In front of my S3
Phone Highlights: S-Off. Stock Froyo. Rooted. ClockworkMod installed.
====================================================

OK, it was my fault - I was stoopid.. I was having issues with Marketplace and then found that GTalk wasn't working and, well, one thing followed another and I blew away the GTalk APK. Stoopid I know, but it happens.

So given that finding another copy of GTalk 1.3 is proving rather hard, I think option 2 is to restore the stock Rom.

I have S-Off and Clockwork Mod and I rooted with 2.1.0 previously. I've got a recent Nanodroid backup (not recent enough to have the APK on it though - :eek:) and continuous Titanium Backups all nestled neatly on my SD.

Now, bear in mind I've had several weeks of hell at work, my mind's not firing on all cylinders :( when it comes to me lil' Droid so you'll have to forgive me if this is a real silly question, but....

What steps do I need to follow to return back to my stock 2.2 rooted goodness after I've used ClockworkMod to do an image recovery? Can I assume that the recovery will just put stock Froyo back on? If so, do I need to do a Nanodroid restore afterwards and are there any steps I need to follow to become re-rooted once complete?

I should add that apart from a lack of Marketplace right now, the phone is otherwise perfectly happy and functional.

Thanks for bearing with me!

So I replaced the APK - still no dice with either it or MarketPlace. However, I did find this in a LogCat I ran directly afterwards...

10-14 10:34:29.707 W/GTalkService(25815): blockingCreateGTalkConnection failed due to low storage!
10-14 10:34:29.757 E/talk (26110): signInAccount: failed to get GTalk connection!

Now, System Panel's reporting 116.6M free in Memory, 5270.5M available on the Internal Storage and 9172.2M left on the SD - so does anyone know just what low storage is it talking about?

R

Upvote 0
OK, knowing that the last time I had a marketplace issues it was because I'd just download an alpha version of Fennec that came in at over 13MB, I took action Sunday morning when I hit the marketplace issue to delete several apps and move moutains more to the SD Card.

Apparently that wasn't enough however, because today I just dropped GEarth and, et voil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones