1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!

Silly question!

1. dalesponyrider

dalesponyrider Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, who is it that is responsible for designing each new Nexus phone? Is it Google, or the manufacturer, or a mixture of the two?

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

It is a collaboration between Google and the manufacturer.
  3. 2 Phonez

2 Phonez Well-Known Member

A bunch of people from LG went to the Google Mountain View offices to help design the Nexus 4 as far as I know, so it was mainly Google.
  4. Unforgiven

They did the same thing with Asus and the N7. That way the software guys and hardware guys are in the same location. I remember a good article on this, I'll see if I can find a link.
  5. Unforgiven

6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

7. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

I read an interview with Google's lead designer on the N4. From what he said, it seemed that various manufacturers pitched ideas and technologies to Google, Google picked the one they liked best then worked with the manufacturer to finalise a design.

Google also seem to use one of the manufacturer's existing platforms as a basis for the various Nexuses (Nexii?) - HTC's Desire was basically the original Nexus, the next couple of Nexii (decided I like that one) were based on Galaxies and the current N4 is based on one of the existing LGs.
  8. 2 Phonez

2 Phonez Well-Known Member

And the Nexus 7 was based on the Asus Eee Pad MeMO ME370T. Catchy name, eh?