• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silly Wifi Question...Please Help :-)

No you can't use them simultaneously. If you want to use wifi, just turn on wifi, and the mobile network will drop in priority. You don't have to turn off anything for wifi to work.
Oh ok. So i don't have to manually turn off the mobile network, it will just go off...good to know.

Silly question but, if the mobile network is off bc i'm using wifi, i won't get any phone calls, correct??

Upvote 0
Incorrect...your mobile network will NOT turn off if you turn on WiFi. You will still be able to make and receive phone calls and make and receive SMS & MMS messages.

Test this by turning on WiFi and using someone else's phone to call yours.
Ok so if this is the case, here's my next question. If both are on and I want to be on the web using the wifi, how does it know to use the wifi connection as opposed to the mobile network?? Do I have to do something extra?? Also, should I have both the wifi and mobile network on at the same time or will there be more issues using it this way??

Upvote 0
I think we are confusing internet access and telephone access. I believe mobile network on the phone refers to internet access. I can use a widget to turn off mobile network and wifi on my phone I will not get internet but I can still send/receive calls, sms, etc.
I don't think this is true. When my mobile network is OFF, I don't get texts or calls...At least I don't think I do. :eek:

Upvote 0
I think we are confusing internet access and telephone access. I believe mobile network on the phone refers to internet access. I can use a widget to turn off mobile network and wifi on my phone I will not get internet but I can still send/receive calls, sms, etc.
After reading this thread, I think so too. In my first post, I was referring to 3G. Unless you were to turn on Airplane Mode, your normal voice network should not turn off. 3G, on the other hand, is a different story, and will be prioritized based on if you have wifi on or off. I have wifi on alot and receive calls/texts/etc just fine.

Upvote 0
It is true for me. Please don't call me a liar. I've tested both calling and sms with both mobile network and wifi off and they worked.

Oh my goodness..Please don't think I was calling u a liar! Never would I do that..I'm so sorry if you thought I was. :(

I was just stating, based on my own experiences as well as some postings here on the forum, that I thought if you disable Mobile Networks, that you are basically turning off ure connection to the phone so you wouldn't be able to get texts or calls.

Trust me, this phone is new to me and only learn by trial and error and what I find here....that was just what i thought i read somewhere..

So then, what exactly is Mobile Network and what things work or don't work when it's on or disabled??

After reading this thread, I think so too. In my first post, I was referring to 3G. Unless you were to turn on Airplane Mode, your normal voice network should not turn off. 3G, on the other hand, is a different story, and will be prioritized based on if you have wifi on or off. I have wifi on alot and receive calls/texts/etc just fine.

Oh ok..so Mobile Network is just the 3G?? So basically it's just the phone's ability to find an internet connection??

Upvote 0
re:earlier, we have no problem. :)

Woop is right both wifi and mobile network (3G, etc.) refer to internet access, this is separate form calling ability. You have also been informed correctly that your phone will default to wifi automatically if wifi is turned on, otherwise it will try to run on mobile network (3G).

Upvote 0
Well, here is the deal... if you turn off the wifi and don't turn off mobile network, it will default to mobile network and you will use even more power then if you just left the wifi on. You could just turn wifi and mobile network off all day except when you want do something on the internet but you may, for instance, run into app syncing problems and such. Your call.

Upvote 0
Now here's a whole other confusion on my part, where does 1x come in?? sometimes I see it blinking alternatively with 3G..Is that internet also?
CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't mean to high-jack but is it wise to just leave wifi on all the time? I spend 99% of my day either at home or at work (both have wifi). Or should I just only turn on wifi when I know I'm going online? If i'm away from both locations will the wifi kill the battery from the constant searching?
Yes, leave it on. Wifi is faster and uses alot less power compared to 3G.

Upvote 0
Does the carrier make any difference to the Mobile Network off/calls & SMS thing?

I thought that turning Mobile Network off (using the home screen widget) would kill G/E/3G/H etc. for data, but still allow calls and SMS, so to prove this tried it yesterday when reading this thread, only to call my phone and be put through to voicemail when Mobile Network was turned off... but if I roam on another carriers network the widget automatically turns off (killing data as expected), but I can still call, I can SMS too, but often the recipient will get the text multiple times, while my handset tells me sending failed??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones