• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim card error

Yes, the idea is to bulk up the SIM card. I'm not exactly a precise person so when I did it just cut a little sliver of Scotch tape that more or less lined up with the size of the card. I reckon as long as it doesn't wrap around and cover the metal contacts, you should be OK.

Since I did it, I have had zero SIM error notifications.

Thanks for the details. I haven't had the error for a few days now, but if/when it comes back I'll try the tape. :)

Reactions: Skipdawg
Upvote 0
Do what I did. Clean the simcard's contacts either with canned air to blow out any debris or use alcohol and put Scotch tape on back of SIM. This would tighten the fit of the simcard in it's slot and thus improve the phone's sim contacts. It brought my phone back full-time signal with no problem.

I did the same thing and it worked great for me. No errors since and that was two months ago..

Upvote 0
Everything hunky dory then all a sudden, puk locked error...

Pulled simple and wiped it off, then put back on and everything has been fine since

6 days later and it has happened 2 or 3 times again.... no sim and puk locked...

both times toggle airplane and its fine, but still....

VZW said they would replace it, but I have a non-standard DNA. Came straight from HTC S-off. Don't really want to just send that to VZW....

Upvote 0
I haven't tried the tape yet, but I think I'm going to. My first DNA had the problem intermittently but definitely not on a daily basis (i busted the screen on that one), 2nd one I only had for a month (best buy gave me an insurance replacement with a blown speaker), 3rd time I got a brand new one in June (they couldn't find a refurb so they junked it out) and it was fine until my last update was installed in October. Within hours of the update I got my first sim card error and it's been gradually getting worse since then. I'm up to 4-5 times a day every day now and the airplane toggle sometimes works, but it also sometimes gets stuck when I try and turn airplane mode off.

Upvote 0
I got a brand new one in June (they couldn't find a refurb so they junked it out) and it was fine until my last update was installed in October. Within hours of the update I got my first sim card error and it's been gradually getting worse since then. I'm up to 4-5 times a day every day now and the airplane toggle sometimes works, but it also sometimes gets stuck when I try and turn airplane mode off.

It only happens a couple of times a week for me, but it does seem to be related to the software update. I never had a sim error before installing 4.2.2. I wonder if Verizon is looking at the problem?

Upvote 0
It only happens a couple of times a week for me, but it does seem to be related to the software update. I never had a sim error before installing 4.2.2. I wonder if Verizon is looking at the problem?

Mine wasn't related to the 4.2.2 update. There was a previous update to 4.1.1 that made it worse. I got a new sim card the day that the 4.2.2 update became available on my phone and knock on wood I haven't had a sim card problem since then.

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with Verizon/HTC. I have a sim card problem. I've had it twice before and it resolved with soft reset and/or battery pull(simulated). Not this time. Verizon tech checked database and now HTC claims the problem is with the sim card tray. I don't think so, but we'll see. HTC won't overnight so I'm without cell for ????? Verizon was nice, HTC didn't know witch end is up. Verizon appologized. So I wait for a new tray.

Upvote 0
I hope it helps, even if it's a marginal improvement, that will be something. I really believe the sim tray is defective in some way and that HTC just couldn't bring themselves to admit it since it would probably require a fix from a repair center and not the Verizon store.

There's a part of me that wants to get the sim swapped for one that enables the ISIS mobile payments system, but I'm scared it will only cause more errors in the long run!

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Well my phone is still working, :banghead: it was constantly checking for a new update (maybe it knew something I didn't) without being able to connect. It finally connected and got "No new update available". Now that finally stopped. I checked to see the status of my new sim tray and it still hasn't shipped. I am really pissed. The Verizon tech had me on a three way call with the HTC rep. She stressed to HTC how important it was to get it shipped that day because my phone was inoperable. It was 12:30 pm and the Verizon rep asked the HTC rep what was the deadline for shipping that day (Friday). HTC didn't know but said she was sure the order was in and it should go out. (HTC could not ship it "Next Day") So much for HTC. Luckily for me I got help from CrackedLCD or I'd be up sh*t's creek w/o a paddle. I really like HTC phones. I've had much better luck with them over Motorola. But I may have to change my tune and go with Samsung next time. :banghead: I just had to vent.

Upvote 0
FYI: I just received my new SIM card tray from HTC. Amazingly, it does work. More importantly, it is different than the old card. Instead of having a smooth bottom edge, it has a small stepped projection. I imagine that presses on something.
(After replacing the new tray, reassembling the case and restarting the phone; I realized I should have taken a picture. If anyone wants one, post here and I'll do it)

Upvote 0
FYI: I just received my new SIM card from HTC. Amazingly, it does work. More importantly, it is different than the old card. Instead of having a smooth bottom edge, it has a small stepped projection. I imagine that presses on something.
(After replacing the new tray, reassembling the case and restarting the phone; I realized I should have taken a picture. If anyone wants one, post here and I'll do it)

Was it hard to replace the tray? And how did HTC send a SIM card

Upvote 0
Sorry for the error. I corrected it in my previous post. HTC sent me a new SIM card TRAY. The new tray is definitely different from the old tray. Changing it is easy. The phone comes with a SIM card tray ejector. (See photo) It's in the box under the phone. You can always use a straightened paper clip. Verizon has instructions with pictures.
Good luck.

1396624860852.jpg

Upvote 0
OK so I'm not sure that I'm getting an actual real SIM card error message but I'm rooted, running NuSense One Max Rom with Sense 5.5 and have had it running for a good bit actually. Also, before that I was running M7 Rom. I recently updated my firmware, and radios and was happy right there with that. However I changed to the beastmode kernel that is so popular. Since doing that I have come across random times where my phone will have no signal and it displays a preparing sim card message. Now it's only happened about 3 times. But I'm wondering if this is the start of a SIM card issue like everyone here has posted about? If it is then I'll try and get my next phone as soon as possible and then use my DNA as a play toy for ROM's and hopefully in the end my test phone for creating my own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones