• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SIM Card Explanation . . .

DemDog

Jul 1, 2010
Considering buying a Moto X Pure unlocked version. Currently have wireless service with Verizon Wireless and would like to use the Moto X Pure to replace the phone I now use on VZW. Talked to VZW and they tell me I will need to come to them for a new SIM card for the Moto X Pure. I have two questions about doing this.

1. Will I get all the junk apps etc that comes with a phone purchased from VZW or will it be a clean phone?

2. Will any updates to Android come from VZW or from Motorola?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't know why you would need a new SIM for the Moto X Pure, unless you have a mini or micro SIM now. The MX Pure uses nano SIM. You could use a SIM cutter to trim it down to nano size, but it may be easier just to go get a new SIM. I took the SIM out of my old phone, put it in and it activated without issue. But no, the SIM only runs the communication to the towers and has nothing to do with the operating system: you will get no Verizon bloatware. Not sure about the OTAs.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Chief,

Thanks for the easy to understand explanation. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but been really busy. When I get the phone in the next few months I just hope the VZW doesnt try to pull some crap and try to put bloatware on the phone while installing the SIM card and activating the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones