• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sim card problem after Android update

Peaksoft

Jul 26, 2014
My Moto G 2nd generation updated to Android 6.0, and I left my SD card as "portable".

I found that I had lost the option to transfer apps to the card, but not being ultra-tech-savvy, I assumed that, with the upgrade, this was because they were being installed there automatically.

However, when I tried to install a new app yesterday, there was not enough space on internal storage.

I then discovered that to use the SD card for apps, I would have to format it for internal storage.

I did this, and the Settings storage info showed plenty of space.

However, when I tried to transfer apps (or data) to it, I was told consistently that there was not enough space.

I tried restarting the phone, unmounting and mounting the card, and finally, removing both the SD card and battery, then replacing them.

Same result.

I decided to leave it overnight and try again.

Now the Settings tell me that the SD card is "not inserted".

I have tried removing and replacing it several times, with no success.

I upgraded my Moto G EXT (2nd Generation) last week, when the update was offered. So, I'm currently running Android 6.0 Build MPB24.65-34.

I was a bit confused by the notifications related to the SD card so I left it as internal storage. I later discovered that connecting the device to my Windows via USB resulted in no files found on the device!

Others seemed to be recommending installing new drivers for Windows 10, installing Android IDE on Windows 10, and enabling developer mode on the android device. None of their instructions were in sync with what I could see on Windows 10 Pro or my current version of Android 6.0 so I gave up.

I had wanted to reformat the SanDisk SD drive but I had a lot of photos I didn't want to use so I wound up uploading them to Google Drive (one-at-a-time) and downloading them from there.

I finally found out where they hid the phone number. I used to be able to view it right at the bottom of About Phone but now it is buried in SIM settings.

So, Peaksoft, I'm not trying to hijack your post but I am chiming in with similar issues that I experienced with the same device type.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that input.

The original SD card is now toast - useless for anything - so I bought a fast 32Gb card, formatted it as internal storage and everything seems to be working OK.

I'm just going to smile and go with the flow.

Strangely, when I go into Settings, I can see both the new card, and the "ghost" presence of the old one.

Upvote 0
I haven't had to replace my SanDisk SD but I did reformat it again this morning. I guess I had reformatted it to share photos and media before. Now it is formatted as an internal disk and I moved data to it.

I also figured out how to browse it. It was set up for USB charging only. I changed that setting to MTP and now I can browse the SD disk on my Windows 10 Pro desktop.

All that time I spent uploading photos to Google Drive was a waste of time, I guess, but I didn't see the USB notification on the device last time I connected it to my computer. I didn't use a high speed USB port this time. Perhaps, that is the difference. <sigh>

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I can't answer that as it went in the dustbin this morning. I should say that it served me perfectly well in both this phone and my previous phone. Then Android 6.0 came along.

There were specific requirements published for the certifications that were required to use the SD card as internal memory. From what you have said it would seem that the old card did not meet that specification and the new card does.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones