• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim card recognized, but no signal

shellroc

Jun 9, 2014
I have a samsung galaxy s3.. sgh i747. android 4.1.2 version.. baseband version i747ucdmg2...kernel 3.0.31.1300972...network unknown...mobile network type unknown... use to be with att. trying to set up internet.. bought new att sim card.. wont work... it shows 2 bars for about 30 seconds, then nothing.. when using wifi, everything works fine....can get on internet, use phone, etc... att told me that its possible that the sim holder is bad...it use to work with previous owner.. I saw it...LOL...can anyone help with this??

Apn is the way your phone is told how to connect to your providers network(internet). Not having it set correctly or set wont allow you to properly connect or connect to your 3g/4g. Its simple to set just have to find correct apn and use the the stock phone dialer and hit buttons. You use att or other provider who uses att towers?

Upvote 0
Im sorry, I thought I was in that area.. My bad...:eek: .. I tried 2 sim cards.. one I bought, and the ATT guy had another.... about the sim tray?? is that easy to replace???? (thats where the sim card goes into, right?? ) its one piece and the sd card tray is next to it, right?? as for the towers.. I tried 2 different locations... about 8 miles apart....and still didnt work. :mad:

Upvote 0
How do I find the correct apn, and the ATT guy said my phone didnt have a factory phone pad.. he showed me on his phone under settings, there was a phone icon.. I dont have one.. However, I do have "a" phone icon.. Im guessing the towers here are att, cause my friends who come over, have 5 bars and can use phone in my metal roof house.. Now, thats strong stuff..LOL

Upvote 0
My bad i was trying to ask who is your phone provider? Let me look up what the dialer code you have to punch in to change apns? Wondering if you have multiple apns which is a problem that i had when i flashed my carrier which gave me connection problems. Btw stupid question did the sim come with instructions sometimes they explain what im trying to. Lol. Gimme few brb.

Upvote 0
My bad i was trying to ask who is your phone provider? Let me look up what the dialer code you have to punch in to change apns? Wondering if you have multiple apns which is a problem that i had when i flashed my carrier which gave me connection problems. Btw stupid question did the sim come with instructions sometimes they explain what im trying to. Lol. Gimme few brb.

to activate the phone, the instructions say, to put in *123*zip code* (then the code for the plan I want).. BUT, it didnt work. if it did work, it would have given me a phone #... I didnt have any bars to reach out to the world..LOL

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
this is what it is supposed to say.. mine dont.. Ive been having problems sending u the info on my phone.. but it dont read anything like this:

Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: <Leave in Blank>
Port: <Leave in Blank>
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
Password: cingular1
Server: <Leave in Blank>
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>
APN type: default,supl,mms OR Internet
APN Protocol: Leave it on the Default one

Upvote 0
try erasing all the apns, reboot and try one apn at time,and repeat till maybe one of them works.. maybe you can get a smart enough customer rep and have him walk you through the correct settings

thank you, I will try that.. I did put in another apn, and the bars lasted 40 seconds.. thats 10 more than before...not sure if that means anything... guess I better write down all the info before deleting...

Upvote 0
i have the same problem to. my uncle bought me a samsung galaxy note 4 its a korean version not original, he bought it via online. at first use it was working fine but when my brother reset it because of unexpected ads pop-up in my default home screen, the boot icon as well as the logo animation has change and the signal of my country has no longer working. it will recognise the type of my sim card but no signal, it will just say emergency calls only and thats it!!.... please help!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones