1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

SIM card used for Verizon now?

1. FirebirdStud

FirebirdStud Well-Known Member

I am wondering, since the S4 on Verizon is now a global phone, does it come with a SIM card?

If so, does Verizon have an option to unlock the SIM card for global use?

I ask because no mater what, I am locked into paying the contract for 2 years, so they shouldn't care if I unlock the phone to use whatever SIM I want while abroad...

Advertisement
    :
  2. chadwick108

chadwick108 Well-Known Member

yyes I can verify that S4 does have sim and must be unlocked for global capabilities.. I believe that all VZW 4G phones and 4G capable tablets require a sim in order to work on network. I also know Droid 3 had a sim card but don't believe it was required unless using global capabilities.
  3. FirebirdStud

Do you know if Verizon will unlock the SIM for use abroad while on vacation or working?
    If not, can I do it myself or through a third party safely?
  4. chris2k5

chris2k5 Well-Known Member

It is already unlocked. If you insert another SIM card from another carrier, most likely only voice will work.

To get data to work, you need to do some APN setting changes. This requires root and then a quick edit of an APN config file. Then you replace the file in your phone with the one you already did.

XDA developers has the full tutorial on this. They even edited the file with well over 20 carriers so you just download it and then replace the original file in your phone using Root Explorer.
    Frisco likes this.
  5. betsuni78

betsuni78 Well-Known Member

The phone has a SIM card, but I believe the card is strictly for LTE. Voice is still CDMA, which does not use SIM cards.
  6. FirebirdStud

excellent, thanks guys! At least I know I have an option to make it work. :)
  7. FirebirdStud

Yep, Verizon confirmed the SIM is only for 4G, and that voice and messages are still CDMA. So, this phone isn't worth a crap abroad. I think I will still get it, but just know that unless the country you are going to has 4G, this phone simply wont work outside of America.
  8. CyberWinter

CyberWinter Well-Known Member

I know on my Droid 3 I had to call Verizon to enter a code to allow me to use a SIM from Greece, therefore a new phone #. Of course no data though.
  9. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

every 4g phone we have ever released has a sim card in it. they are global CAPABLE but you must add a feature to your contract that will unlock it for overseas use.
  10. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

11. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Which ever Verizon rep told you that was misinformed. The sim slot will take a gsm sim card and work as long as it's a global phone, the sim is unlocked, and you use a carrier that uses frequencies that your phone supports.

Not every LTE phone is global capable, though just about any modern one is. There are a couple older ones like the Galaxy Nexus, Droid Charge, etc that don't have gsm radios in it.
  12. Grecho

Grecho Well-Known Member

I can say for sure, the phone will work with a foreign inserted sim card. Just returned from Europe where i purchased a prepaid sim card, inserted and immediately had data and voice coverage.

Just make sure that the sim you are purchasing uses frequencies that your phone is compatible with

Annoying notification though that a non-verizon sim was inserted. I believe that verizon is selling all phones global ready now, that is, they are no longer requiring an unlock code to use abroad.