1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Sim Cards

1. RodgerBrooks

RodgerBrooks Active Member

dumb question from a non techie old guy...

is there a "lifespan" for sim cards?

how long do they last?

Advertisement
  2. RballCoach

RballCoach Member

I'm not a techie dude so to me that is a GREAT QUESTION!

My guess is definitely longer than a phone it would start in. My next guess after that is it probably last longer than us as long as it doesn't get wet.

Again...I'm just guessing:)

Manny
    RodgerBrooks likes this.
  3. RodgerBrooks

just wondering if I can take the sim card out of a 10 year old basic phone and put it into another basic phone that is new and everything will work.
  4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

No life span as such, but they do change somewhat. Using old SIM cards can decrease both cellphone and/or data performance, even though the phone does still work. To be sure you're getting the full performance your phone is capable of, always use a recent SIM. If a new one comes with a new phone, use it.
    RodgerBrooks likes this.
  5. RodgerBrooks

So I suppose I can go to a TMO store... I have one close by... and pick up a new basic phone and then they can somehow "transfer" everything on my current phone to the new phone? Also the same phone number? This is a back up phone but I've had the number for 10 years and don't want to give it up and would like to keep all my contacts without having to put them all in again. I really know little about phones so I just don't know how all this works.
  6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Your phone number will not change.

The T-Mobile store can transfer contacts saved to your SIM card to a new one. If you have contacts saved to the phone's internal memory, ask the store if they can transfer those. I don't know, it depends on the phone you have and the new one you choose.
    RodgerBrooks likes this.
  7. tusculum22

tusculum22 New Member

I had the same SIM card for the first 4 years of my TMO service. Just this past summer I had to replace it as my phone was having issues with it. Overall I think they last a while from my experience.
    RodgerBrooks likes this.
  8. RodgerBrooks

I called my local TMO store and the young guy told me they would "copy" my sim to a new sim for the new phone and I would be good to go.

the phone is $50 in the TMO store but I could get it for $30 at Best Buy or Walmart. I would feel odd taking a phone I bought elsewhere into the TMO store for them to do the transfer but I'm sure many do so.