• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sim-free htc desire?

sur444

Lurker
Apr 15, 2010
i am looking to purchase a sim-free htc desire and use t-mobile. i have heard that there were issues of the mobile software not allowing the phone to update its setting via the sim card(i.e sms text of internet settings). This was however fixed by an update of the rom prior to shipment.

If i purchase the sim-free htc desire will i get the same problem with a t-mobile sim card?

Thanks

i am looking to purchase a sim-free htc desire and use t-mobile. i have heard that there were issues of the mobile software not allowing the phone to update its setting via the sim card(i.e sms text of internet settings). This was however fixed by an update of the rom prior to shipment.

If i purchase the sim-free htc desire will i get the same problem with a t-mobile sim card?

Thanks
I live in the USA and I just got my Desire today from a seller on eBay who gets them from the UK. It is sim free but you need to set up your internet manually. don't call T-mobile they are clueless to the Desire. With your sim card in go to wireless and network settings. then go to APN. push menu and click enter new APN. in the first two boxes input
wap.voicestream.com then press save. it should work from there just give it a moment. Also after you connect to wifi the first time when you go disconnect and try to use your T-mobile connection it might be a little slow to connect and will say you don't have a connection. Just wait a second then try again after that it is okay. Also if you need to set up a yahoo mail account you have to do it manually just go on youtube and search yahoo mail on motorola droid, it works on all android phones.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I'm living in the UK but back in the US for a few months and hoping to use my unlocked HTC Desire back here. I purchased an Even More Plus sim card plan from T-Mobile but so far have only been able to access the phone services and wi-fi. No mobile data connection at all. At $119/month, it's pretty useless without internet.

@kcs7272, did you enter wap.voicestream.com for the "Name" and "APN" fields only? I tried this but couldn't get it to work.

Anyone else have suggestions? I've tried a full factory re-set, made sure I'm in an area that should have connectivity, and ensured that always-on mobile data is checked.

How do others use UK Desires in the US?

Thanks much in advance,

Rose

Upvote 0
Not t-mobile and does not directly answer your question but I got an unmolested Desire on an O2 upgrade from Carphone Warehouse (all cpw phones are unlocked, only reason to buy from them).

When I put my existing O2 sim in and switched the phone on it asked if I was on O2 contract. O2 payg or Tesco mobile. I selected O2 contract and it set everything up itself.

No idea if this is the case for all networks and phones (or just those from cpw) but I never needed to use the sms O2 sent (which was handy 'cos it arrived on my old phone before I'd swapped over).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones