• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim unlocking the desire?

Thanks again Rastaman. Will I need access to my imei number or any other numbers when I'm following the on screen instructions?

also when burning to cd, do you burn all files that you've unzipped or a certain file only?

no, no details needed

you dont extract the iso
you use a tool like imgburn to burn the iso itself to cd

the iso is a disk image

Upvote 0
Ok and I get the phone into hboot by holding power and volume down buttons, Is that correct? Do I just connect the phone as 'charge only'?
you cant cnnect the phone as charge only when in hboot as its not in android
turn off the phone completely. hold down voldown and press power
you will get to a white screen that says hboot, when you connect it it should say hboot usb plug in red writing.

Upvote 0
Right, for my sanity have I got it right as:

1) Power down the phone,
2) press vol down and power buttons to get It into hboot mode with white screen,
3) connect the phone to the pc & run the exe file from the extracted rar,
4) hope that it recognises the phone and then follow the instructions.

:)
yep
if it doesnt work/pc doesnt recognise the phone in hboot, you will need to install the hboot drivers
you can get them from here
public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

Upvote 0
no problem, glad t worked

Tnanks very much rasta, you're helpful guidance helped me out too :)

Just a quick noobish question - it seems i've successfully unlocked my UK T Mobile locked Desire following these instructions....got the pop up cmd prompt message saying all done etc.

Now, does that mean when i go to the US next week, i can pop in a US sim card and be network unlocked internationally? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
You don't need a code. There is a free tool that will unlock your Desire and it can be found HERE. Just follow the instructions.

Please note: This tool is for GSM phones only. Do not use it if your phone is a CDMA device.

Why would anyone consider paying for SIM unlocking, when the above is completely free?

I have used the above on several Desires and it has worked on them all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones