SimCity closed beta starts this weekend!

Last Updated:

1. Fr0stTr0n

Fr0stTr0n Well-Known Member

For those of you who signed up on the website, the beta keys were sent to emails yesterday and amazingly, I got one. I can only play an hour at a time but here are my thoughts from a Simcity 2000 diehard and veteran.

FAQ

• Game looks good like but graphics arn't "stellar" or not what i've seen seen so far but I have a feeling this game is gonna tax our GPU's once citys get really big
    • I really like not having to freaking constantly lay down pipes and electric wires all over the place, thats a nice touch
    • Sims are always complaining about something, nothing new there since my epic SimCity 2000 days
    • Lots of road options galore including ones that actually curve and circle, yah!!!
    • Definetely not "dumbed down" in regards to maintain the complex system of building, runing and fixing a city, so SimCity veterans like me don't feel like were getting a "Kiddy" version of the game
    • Really blows you can't terraform your own landscape, I'm really, really gonna miss that
    • I guess I can live with the constant online aspect of it, don't really have a choice
    • Sharing and trading with other cities and people online could be fun
    • Being able to click on anything and anyone to get information about whats going on is pretty cool, you certainly don't have an exscuze of not being informed playing the game

Here's what I managed to get built before my hour was up, grrrrr, I was having fun! :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

A few (3) of my friends have actually been allowed into the beta (or how ever it works)... They're liking it so far (the 2 that I've talked to about it).

Those pics look pretty nice to me (but my computer can barely handle TES4 :p )... and that's a nice little write up. :)

I'm not liking the sound of it being online only... but I'm sure it's there for a reason (anti-piracy likely).
  3. edge

edge Well-Known Member

Wow, it looks good. Have an alien come wreck it yet?
  4. trackball

trackball Well-Known Member

Nobody talking about SimCity?

Guess they really screwed the pooch on this one.
  5. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

Only the people moaning about how over whelmed the servers got, but apparently it's not so bad now.
  6. trackball

trackball Well-Known Member

Well, it isn't even about the launch issues. I haven't played SC5 so take my opinion with a grain of salt...but on paper and from the current batch of reviews and gameplay vids, the game just never met expectations features-wise (not to mentions the bugs, but those are par for the course nowadays and should be fixed at some point).

Small city size and pre-determined locations
    Lack of terrain tools
    No mods
    Limited transportation options...No subways? C'mon man!
    and did any long time Sim City fan REALLY want this multiplayer/facebookish social game?

This one will go on my long-term watch list just because of how much love I have for the franchise. Hopefully 2-3 years down the road some of these issues are addressed (if its through DLCs I'm waiting for the "gold" edition or whatever)
  7. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

Really, I'm unsurprised by all your complaints,t rackball- its the same treatment EA is giving ALL of their games.