Simple Hello World not loading in Emulator

Last Updated:

1. TandemAdam

TandemAdam New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, I'm brand spankin' new to Android development, and I am have some issues right off the bat.

I have set up Eclipse with the Android plug-in, and the Android SDK. But I can't get my simple Hello World application to run in the emulator.

I am going through this Hello World tutorial. I have Installed a Platform, Created an AVD, Created a New Android Project, and Constructed the UI, but when I hit Run (and select Android Application from the menu that pops up), the Emulator starts up. It takes a while on the "ANDROID_" screen, then shows the shimmering Android logo for a while. But then it goes to the "unlock" screen. When I slide the lock to the right, it opens the Android home screen. I try looking for my app in the applications lists, but it is nowhere to be found.

I have also tried a few sample applications but the same thing happens.

I am running Eclipse Galileo, and targeting Android 2.2. I started with only the 2.2 packages installed (in the AVD Manager), but have since gone and just installed all the available packages, hoping that I missed something.

When I run the project from Eclipse I get the following output in my console:
    Code (Text):
    1. [2010-08-25 21:06:40 - TestingAndroid] ------------------------------
    2. [2010-08-25 21:06:40 - TestingAndroid] Android Launch!
    3. [2010-08-25 21:06:40 - TestingAndroid] adb is running normally.
    4. [2010-08-25 21:06:40 - TestingAndroid] Performing com.adamharte.testingandroid.TestingAndroidActivity activity launch
    5. [2010-08-25 21:06:40 - TestingAndroid] Automatic Target Mode: launching new emulator with compatible AVD 'my_avd'
    6. [2010-08-25 21:06:40 - TestingAndroid] Launching a new emulator with Virtual Device 'my_avd'
    There is nothing here about "loading my app". Is there suppose to be something like that? What do you guys get in your console when running an app?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Is there anything I can do to test if things are working? I am really stumped to why I can't get this simple app (or any apps) to run in the Emulator.

Thanks

Adam

Advertisement
  2. TandemAdam

TandemAdam New Member This Topic's Starter

No one can help me? No one can even post there output from when they run there android app?

3. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

There should be something like "installing .apk..." and then on the next line, "starting intent blah blah blah". I am unsure as to why this is not happening. Can you post the logcat?

4. meskiukas

meskiukas Member

It sounds like you hit "run", and only then the emulator starts to boot. Have you tried hitting "run" while the emulator is running, showing the unlock or home screen?

5. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Did you setup a new run configuration? If not, you need to set one up so that it launches the Activity and uses the correct AVD.

6. alvins

alvins New Member

I am having the same issue, would help if someone could post what they found.

- Alvin

7. obstar85

obstar85 Well-Known Member

Are you clicking on run android emulator or are you clicking on the run as new configuration and then picking your project and loading the emulator then?

8. ravisangam

ravisangam New Member

Guys! Please help Us Why no one is responding? Why the emulator is not loading. Can anyone suggest the installation of Android with Eclipse in detail.

9. JamTheMan

JamTheMan Well-Known Member

First things first. You need to add the "LogCat" view in Eclipse, to see what is going on with the Emulator. The console in Eclipse doesn't show any debug info from the Emulator - it only shows Eclipses interaction with the Emulator (starting it and sending new APK's).

All trace's etc. from your app will also come in the "LogCat" view!