General Simple question for experts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Teris, May 5, 2010.

1. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    I have switched to the Incredible from the BB Storm and am having difficulty locating the place where I can input words for auto-correct. For example, in my Storm, I set "u" to auto-correct to "you," "wd" to auto-correct to "would," etc. Is there a place to do this in the Incredible? If so, how does one access it? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA
    VIP Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    AFAIK it doesn't work that way, but I don't have a Inc myself. I know when using the HTC keyboard it doesn't have that option.

3. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Go to Menu->Settings->Language & Keyboard->Touch Input->Text Input

You will see all kinds of settings there. :)

Hu5t13Man likes this.
  4. 1967ls2

1967ls2 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Mine has been giving me the option input words into the custom dictionary as I am typing new words. If there is a word that isn't in there right after I type it, it will show up as one of the suggested words in auto correction field. I just touch the new word I just typed and then it says saving the new word. Next time I type that word it is already in the auto correction programming...

5. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Thanks, but I don't see a setting that allows me to add words and auto-substitute for them. That is, I can't add a word like "ppl" and make the Inc auto-change that to "people" in a SMS or email.

6. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    This sounds closer to what I'm looking for, but does it allow you to type letters that wouldn't ordinarily prompt a full word? For example, "ppl" wouldn't ordinarily prompt the spell check to correct that to "people," so is there a place to type in a list of words (e.g., "ppl") to auto-correct to other words (e.g., "people")? Thanks for the replies, everyone.

7. scooterpd

scooterpd New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    * If only they could make AutoHotKey for Android. I use AHK to make hotstrings (text-expansion) on my PC, and it's a total time saver. I'm going to look into it, but I'm not too hopeful.

8. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Is there nothing like that for the Inc? Blackberry is way ahead of Inc in several respects that I can see almost immediately, even though the Storm was not a great device.

9. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Coming from a bb, also, I missed this function (for about 4 hours LOL). The Android predictive function is much much better than the bb, so it became a non issue very quickly.

Add Swype and the balance shifts very heavily to the Inc!

10. bowl443

bowl443 Member

Apr 8, 2010
    sys admin
    tx
    Close, but I think they were looking for this

Menu->Settings->Language & Keyboard->Touch Input->User Dictionary

11. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Network Administrator
    NJ
    Wouldn't your WPM still be higher typing with Swype than with a word/character replacing feature such as this?

I think you should try, and if you're still slower and it upsets you, then you may have found a feature that's most important to you in a phone.

12. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Yeah, but typing "ttyl" into a Blackberry and having it write out the full message saves way more time than just predictive type in Inc. I haven't tried Swype yet, but I'll give it a try.

13. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Nope, not the problem. I'm not worried about the phone changing a word, I'm worried about it NOT changing words that I want to substitute.

14. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Yeah, it's not a dealbreaker or anything, it's just a great feature in the BB that I'm surprised is not in the Inc. But I will try Swype. Thanks for the reply.

15. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Holy crap so that is where you turn the vibrate off. had haptic off but it still buzzed on the kbd.

16. Hu5t13Man

Hu5t13Man New Member

May 5, 2010

OMG, Ive been trying to figure this out since the incredible launch date! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D