• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simple question: How do I put a PDF file on my homescreen?

Vesbon

Apr 24, 2010
I created a simple PDF document on my PC that I need to reference frequently on my Android phone (Sprint Hero). How do I A) get in on my phone and B) create a shortcut to the file.

Basically, I want to create a shortcut to this PDF file on my phone (like shortcuts on my desktop PC).

I have the file in DropBox, but it takes too long to download it all the time (and I want it available offline). I think I downloaded it to my SD card, but I can't tell.

I also have BetterCut, but I can't figure out how to make a "PDF shortcut" (a icon that links to the PDF).

I know, this is basic stuff and I'm fairly compute literate, but I can't figure this one out.

Thanks,
-v

You have to use a file manger (e.g. Estrongs File Explorer).
Start Estrongs, go to the .pdf file on the SD card, long press on the .pdf file name, choose Shortcut and the shortcut is on your homescreen :)

Harry
I really like this, I am using Astro, which does not have this. What would I be giving up if I removed Astro and used this instead?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I really like this, I am using Astro, which does not have this. What would I be giving up if I removed Astro and used this instead?

Thanks

I've never used Estrongs. I've used Astro and AndXplorer so I can't tell you if there's anything you'd be giving up. Ads perhaps?

Also,

There's nothing wrong with having multiple files browsers installed.

Upvote 0
I created a simple PDF document on my PC that I need to reference frequently on my Android phone (Sprint Hero). How do I A) get in on my phone and B) create a shortcut to the file.

Basically, I want to create a shortcut to this PDF file on my phone (like shortcuts on my desktop PC).

I have the file in DropBox, but it takes too long to download it all the time (and I want it available offline). I think I downloaded it to my SD card, but I can't tell.

I also have BetterCut, but I can't figure out how to make a "PDF shortcut" (a icon that links to the PDF).

I know, this is basic stuff and I'm fairly compute literate, but I can't figure this one out.

Thanks,
-v

Ah, I forgot your A) question :)

For transfer file from PC to my phone via WiFi I use Estrongs too.
Estrongs has access to shares on the PC and on the NAS via WiFi.

EDIT: Note to shortcuts: Recently Estrongs needs for shortcuts the additional app ES Bookmark Manager.
But the way to make the shortcut is the same as I described above :)

Harry

Upvote 0
Are you sure?
I don't use Astro but I heard Astro can do this shortcuts too.

Harry
Thanks, I didn't realize it could. It is a few more steps than just long press on the file name but it can be done you are right. :)
I've never used Estrongs. I've used Astro and AndXplorer so I can't tell you if there's anything you'd be giving up. Ads perhaps?

Also,

There's nothing wrong with having multiple files browsers installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones