Simple question re shortcut deleting and arrangmentsSupport

Last Updated:

1. MalvernBry

MalvernBry New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi to you all.

I'm new to android and been trying to get to grip with a Samsung Gallaxy Europa (running V2.1) and keep running into the same basic, silly and fundimental problem.

According to everything I read and seen, to rearrange a short cut on a home screen you just press on the icon for a short while, it changes colour and then drag it to it's new location. And to delete it, you drag it to the bin that appears at the bottom.

This (most of the time) is not happening to me! If I hold on an icon most of the time the appilication is instantly launched. If I start moving, the whole screen (wall paper) starts to moving. (It obviousely does not recognise I'm pressing an icon of a short cut.) Very occasionally the bin may flash up and just a few times I actually been able to drag a short cut into it. This after many hours trying.

This is such a fundimental action that I can only assume it a fault with the phone I got, or I have turn on (or off) an option that is effecting the is action.

(I have also tried using LauncherPro but the same basic problem exists.)

Can anyone with a better knowlege of android tell me if I doing something silly . And can someone with a Europa tell me if the have any such problems.

Many thanks
    Bryan

Advertisement
  2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

You have to press and "hold" the widget continuously and drag it until it goes where you want it to go. Then let go. Don't release the "hold" until the widget has moved.

In Launcher Pro, when the screen moves, you're actually changing screens and the widget is moving with you. Try letting go once the screen moves and you'll see that the widget has moved from page 1 to page 4, for example.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

if you have haptic feedback enabled, touch the icon/shortcut you want to move/delete until you feel the "bump" and DON'T lift your finger or slide it. The app drawer icon changes to a waste bin and you can drag shortcuts and widgets there to remove them from the home screen, or just slide them to the position you want them.

Two caveats ... if you lift your finger, even for a split second, the icon will come to rest in that location. And, if you try to place the icon in a location that is already occupied or there is not enough room (say for a 2 x 2 widget like the market widget) it will snap back to its original location.

4. MalvernBry

MalvernBry New Member This Topic's Starter

First of all thank you for your two replies.

I think I have identified the problem. Too a degree it was my 'technique', in that I was pressing the screen to hard. A lighter finger has help.

But more fundamental was I think it was the phone being busy with background tasks. It’s my wife’s phone and she had been using a ‘jog tracker’ app (that properly could not find the current position because I was indoors), played music and a Social Networking Server was running. (The concept of not terminating apps but the OS closing them when resources are need is new to me!)

The Europa being the ‘baby’ of the family was, I think, it was struggling.

So given that, a follow up question. Is there an app that kills all background apps?

Many thank
    Bryan

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Before you go killing apps (which you shouldn't do unless you know the app is misbehaving) I'd recommend installing Watchdog Task Manager Lite - Android app on AppBrain and see if any of those apps are really using CPU cycles when not active. Even though they may show they are loaded in memory, if they are in fact idle, they wouldn't have any impact on performance and should be left alone.

If you do find that JogTracker is the problem, I would recommend finding a different app and let the developer know. Killing the app all the time could create other problems for you.