• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simple Root instructions

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
***The following guide is now quite old, I suggest you look at this post-

http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/163034-simple-root-instructions-old.html#post2041149

for more up to date instructions***

Since I have given these instructions to so many via PM, I thought I'd post them here. At the very least, I can link back here instead of rewriting them via PM which doesn't save outgoing messages.

1- If you haven't already, D/L and install the Samsung Updater.

2- D/l the DE03 rooted file.

3- Replace the .md5 file in C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary with the .tar file you D/l in step 2

4- D/L and run the Updater Patch

5- Run the Samsung Updater and follow directions.

6- Congratulations, you're rooted with a alternate recovery.

*If your phone connects fine with the updater but stalls out at the final download page, wait at least a minute to be sure and try unplugging and plugging back in the usb cable.

Root at your own risk!

Not to nit pick here but this isn't actually rooting, it is however the first (and hardest) step in doing so. Once you have completed the steps in pasta's guide you must then flash a custom kernel which contains code for root access. Alternately you can flash joey's root v7 but this method is considered outdated and if your going to take the leap might as well go all the way. You can verify root by opening a shell terminal and typing 'su' without the quotes. You will notice the $ change to #. Otherwise you will get an error and need to retrace you steps as you missed something. Nice simple, easy to follow guide pasta.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
or an even easier way to do it.

1) dl the old sprint updater http://dl.dropbox.com/u/111413/MomentDE03J/SamsungMoment_Update.exe

2) replace the file in C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary with this
http://sdx-downloads.com/stock-mod/..._1-forcsytos-recovery-3.1.1-Littlejth-1.5.tar

3) run sprint updater

4) BAM! ur rooted with latest recovery and littlekernel 1.5(kinda outdated)

im currently working on more kenel/recovery3.1.1/DE03 .tar combos over at sdx. just need to get permission from the devs.

Upvote 0
will i need to back up all my photos and apps??
Photo's are on the sd card and won't be affected, but a backup wouldn't hurt. You could backup your apps, but restoring from backup sometimes causes problems. It may take a little longer, but the first time you open the market after you sign back in with your google account, all your previously installed apps will be listed in the downloads section. It's pretty easy to go down the list one by one and install everything fresh. Don't back out of the market or even change screen orientation or all the apps except for paid will be gone from the list.

Upvote 0
I've owned my moment since April and i'm really thinking about rooting the bad boy. Pretty soon i'll be sending it to my nephew (when I get my Epic) and I dont want him calling me complaining about the battery life. So i'm really looking into that Radioactive root I read so much about... Thanks for these steps. I'll definitely return when I get home and get ready to root.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be so uninforme, but what specifically IS rooting and what are the pros and cons to rooting the Moment? When I flashed my phone with 2.1, Sprint Nav quit working, and now from other areas of the site, it looks like there won't be a 2.2 update for the Moment, so I'd like to see what else this phone can do. My impression from reading is that by rooting you are tweaking the os to gain better performance, so therefore you are "flashing" the phone with somewhat of a homemade os?
Thanks for any replies with a good definition and explanation

Upvote 0
First, 2.1 shouldn't disable Sprint Nav. Have you checked for a update in the market? Personally, I prefer Google Nav anyway.
Rooting doesn't improve anything, but it gives you the ability to do so. Having root access gives you the permissions to change and install anything you want, permissions that you were barred from by Samsung and Sprint. At minimum, it will allow you to remove the "crapware" installed by Sprint which could improve both performance and battery life. After rooting the phone you can also install alternate roms and kernels which can drastically improve performance. Here's a good place for info and here's the best place for roms and kernals.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones