simple root question

Last Updated:

1. othgar

othgar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The only thing I really want to do is overclock my droid. I really don't want anything else changed. Is that possible?

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Yes. There are rooted ROMs which are just stock Android with root access.

othgar likes this.
  3. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

othgar likes this.
  4. lazarus2405

lazarus2405 New Member

Yup, exactly as trav said. Root your droid, install your preferred recovery (SPRecovery or Clockwork), perform a backup before you go changing things, and then install an overclock kernel that fits your version of android and your preferences. You'll have to dig around a little bit to find them, as I'm not too familiar with these forums.

Once you've got your kernel, you can install it by renaming it update.zip, placing it on the root of your SD card (as in, not in a folder), and booting into recovery. Once there, choose the iption to install an update.zip from the sdcard, and reboot.

If you want finer control over your overclocking once you've got your kernel in place, I highly recommend SetCPU in the market. It's nice for checking your CPU's speed and tweaking when it can run at which speeds so that you have power when you want it and battery when you need it.

If you have troubles with (or get confused by) SPRecovery, I'll also recommend Clockwork Recovery. It's very easy to install by first installing Rom Manager from the market. Once you open it, you will be asked to flash Clockwork, and the app will do all the dirty work for you.

And finally, if you've come this far, why not go all the way? If you perform a nandroid backup in recovery, you can restore your unaltered current safe operating system and all it settings in fewer than five minutes without a computer. So try a rom or two (I prefer Bugless Beast, especially the new Froyo version), and if you don't like it, switch back by restoring the backup.

Cheers

othgar likes this.