• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] SimpleROM 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ROM is perfect for me, and I like the look a lot. I added a nice clock widget and a background that fits in well.

Being new to android, I am having one issue however. I'd like to uninstall a couple apps like Google Talk, but it won't let me. It says "Uninstall not successful". SuperUser is working correctly, I have installed apps that require root, however I can't seem to uninstall any default apps. Help?

Oh, and thanks for the ROM, it's great. :)

9643.jpg

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions in this petereven's post: http://androidforums.com/4990482-post80.html

After successfully installing ClockworkMod, rooting wasn't working, so for the heck of it I tried "EasyRootCWM.zip" with install from zip. Previously I received a "signature verification failed" error. To my surprise it went through successfully.

I then went ahead and installed "ICON rom". However immediately I noticed I didn't have any of the square icons as shown in the screenshot. I decided to try SimpleROM. So far so good:

Calls, texting, camera, apps, voice to text, all working. Theme looks like it should as per the screenshot. The only real issue I've had thus far is picture messaging, it just says sending but never actually sends. I was able to email the picture instead however.

Upvote 0
This ROM is perfect for me, and I like the look a lot. I added a nice clock widget and a background that fits in well.

Being new to android, I am having one issue however. I'd like to uninstall a couple apps like Google Talk, but it won't let me. It says "Uninstall not successful". SuperUser is working correctly, I have installed apps that require root, however I can't seem to uninstall any default apps. Help?

Oh, and thanks for the ROM, it's great. :)

There are apps to remove system apk's, like this, but just be careful what you remove. Oh and thank you for trying it out. I'm going to make a patch for you in a bit(I'm at work) to get your picture messaging working and carrier name fixed.

Reactions: ZTEW
Upvote 0
Thanks PattF. So I just tried it. I am still seeing Boost Mobile in Google Play and unfortunately picture messaging isn't working yet.

Use root explorer and delete everything in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and reboot. That should get picture messaging working. Try deleting the com.android.vending folder in /data/data too before you reboot. That might fix the market, you will have to sign in again though.

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions in this petereven's post: http://androidforums.com/4990482-post80.html

After successfully installing ClockworkMod, rooting wasn't working, so for the heck of it I tried "EasyRootCWM.zip" with install from zip. Previously I received a "signature verification failed" error. To my surprise it went through successfully.

I then went ahead and installed "ICON rom". However immediately I noticed I didn't have any of the square icons as shown in the screenshot. I decided to try SimpleROM. So far so good:

Calls, texting, camera, apps, voice to text, all working. Theme looks like it should as per the screenshot. The only real issue I've had thus far is picture messaging, it just says sending but never actually sends. I was able to email the picture instead however.

FYI The ICON ROM gives you the option to use 1 of two home launches. HOLO and TouchWiz:smokingsomb:....The square icons shown on the screenshot are part of the TouchWiz launcher and they have to be enabled in the launcher options. Didnt want anyone to think Mhanna3333 was showing anything on her screenshot that wasnt actually there:D.

Reactions: BenBrickins
Upvote 0
PattF,

I like your ROM; it is basically what I want. However I was trying to just customize the stock ROM. I want to ask you a couple questions:

1. What do you mean by removing throttle?
2. I already install beats audio, but didn't see much of a difference. I am trying to install xloud also, but there isn't much info on how to do this. Could be something to add to the main sub-thread. Do I just download the stuff made for the Xperia and install to Warp?

When I was writing this I found this link on how to install both (first post... can't include the link). The page is titled:
- Download & Install HTC Beats Audio & Xloud To Any Android Phone [Android 2.3+]

Thanks

Upvote 0
I guess I should be more clear on the throttle thing. There is a service running by default called the "ThrottleService". No one knows what it does other than output a few files to a system directory. I removed it because I didn't feel the need to keep some mysterious service running in the background and it being gone doesn't effect anything. That's pretty much it.

As far as beats goes it's pretty much a glorified EQ, I can tell the difference on my big headphones but not really from the phone speaker or earbuds. I like it. I'm in the process of getting the ALSA soundsystem working on here too. THAT should make a huge difference in sound quality.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. By installing beats and xloud, I was kinda hoping that when I plug the phone into my sound system it would make it louder... didn't work that I noticed. Seems like it needs amplified, like you can do in Linux. Might be better quality or not, but no harm no foul at least.

About the throttle thing. I was hoping that it was a way to keep from being throttled. I've heard of ways to do this with a prl; where the phone doesn't send out a roaming signal. I've installed a corp sprint prl, removed proxies, and changed out the build.prop. It made a nice difference, but the phone still just stops sending/receiving for a couple seconds. In that time, the radio station or w/e cuts out and is pretty annoying. I don't know if it is my phone or the cell tower, but the problem still exists. I put my phone on roaming automatic for regular non-data use... and it appeared to have worked. I don't know why I took a dive into this topic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. By installing beats and xloud, I was kinda hoping that when I plug the phone into my sound system it would make it louder... didn't work that I noticed. Seems like it needs amplified, like you can do in Linux. Might be better quality or not, but no harm no foul at least.

About the throttle thing. I was hoping that it was a way to keep from being throttled. I've heard of ways to do this with a prl; where the phone doesn't send out a roaming signal. I've installed a corp sprint prl, removed proxies, and changed out the build.prop. It made a nice difference, but the phone still just stops sending/receiving for a couple seconds. In that time, the radio station or w/e cuts out and is pretty annoying. I don't know if it is my phone or the cell tower, but the problem still exists. I put my phone on roaming automatic for regular non-data use... and it appeared to have worked. I don't know why I took a dive into this topic.

I'd always assumed it was a data counter of some sort but I'm not sure why they would do that on the phone and not on their servers. Honestly, IDK. To me the numbers in the files seem to be random.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones