Simplest way to unroot to stock 2.1 rom?

Last Updated:

1. SmallGuy

SmallGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys!

My mom will soon be getting my phone since I will be buying new when they one day releases the dual-core phones :)
    I also have some sound problems when calling so I thought it would be easiest just to unroot the phone :)

So my question is: What is the easiest way to get from rooted to stock 2.1 rom :)

If it means anything I live in Denmark :)

Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

If your phone is running rooted but otherwise stock firmware, I can't see unrooting fixing sound issues.

As for unrooting... hmm. I'm not sure. I suppose you could downgrade to 1.5 and re-do the OTA update? It's annoying how there's no way to install 2.1 other than the OTA way.

Is rooting reversible without re-flashing firmware?

3. SmallGuy

Im running modaco 2.1 rom ;)

4. Xyro

Well, unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen the stock firmware made into a .zip that hasn't been rooted already. Which is a shame, that's exactly what we need.

So, I guess it still comes down to installing an old 1.5 ROM then getting the 2.1 firmware OTA. The good news is I don't think you'll need a goldcard coming from modaco.

5. SmallGuy

What should I need a gold-card for?

6. Xyro

Sometimes you can't install 1.5 ROMs because they're older than your current firmware. I'm not sure if this applies for going from 2.1 --> 1.5 or not, but if it does you'll need a goldcard to bypass that check.

Installing 1.5 is the only way I can think of to get back to stock firmware (since there aren't repacks .zips of the official 2.1).

7. SmallGuy

But couldn't you then just install a rooted 1.5 firmware and then install stock 1.5?

8. Xyro

No, assuming you'd need a goldcard (and like I said, I'm not sure), I don't think having a custom 1.5 or 2.1 ROM on there beforehand would make a difference.

See what I meant was, there were several versions of the 1.5 ROMs, and they would only let you install newer versions of 1.5, not older ones. That was because they were checking your build number to determine if you were upgrading or downgrading. So when you try to install an official 1.5 on a phone running custom firmware, it's not going to recognise the build number of the custom ROM. So it will treat all custom firmware as equal.

But you'll just have to try it to see whether it works without a goldcard or not.