• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Simultaneoulsy charge and connect USB device

SunFuLai

Lurker
Aug 27, 2016
Hi Everybody,
Since my elderly laptop “died” a few weeks ago, I decided (like so many others I learned) to “convert” my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 into a laptop configuration. I added a Logitech K480 blue tooth keyboard (is working wonderfully) and finally found a way to connect the nano receiver of my mouse through and OTG adapter (30-pin connector to USB female cable). However, the following hurdle is, that I would like to take is finding a device/adapter to simultaneously charge the battery. Since the 30-pin slot is the only connection point on the tablet, I have tried a usb-hub (DC input 5V-3.5A). This is fine for connecting the nano receiver (the mouse works), but connecting the charger cable to the hub does not charge the tablet.
I have roamed the internet for connection kits, but the one I tried did not do the job. The only one I found was from Lava, but they took the one that matches my tablet off the market (http://lavalink.com/samsung-tablet-adapters-support/compatibility-list/).
Does anyone has some suggestions how to operate my mouse and simultaneously charge my tablet?

I'm afraid you might have to compile a Custom Kernel for that. If that's even possible. Stock Android has either data transfer OR charging option, AFAIK.
Thank you.
Although I do not like the answer, I am afraid you must be right. I have been researching this now for a few weeks and I guess I have to get used to make sure the tablet is fully charged whenever I am using the mouse.

Upvote 0
chanchan definitely deserves the credit. I had given up too. The answer was right in front of me. Literally.

Newegg is a trusted source, BTW.

Most credits to chanchan, but thanks to you both.
Had a quick look at the two links. The keyboard from Newegg looks suitable. BTW: apparently there are very few boards (if not the only one) with Bluetooth and touchpad. The other link to the Logitech confuses me a bit, as there is no mention of Bluetooth - just "wireless", but it requires a USB receiver, so using that only slot I cannot charge my tablet the same time. Moreover the K400Plus requires Andoid 5.0 and higher. Unfortunately, with the Tab2 I am stuck to 4.2. The older K400 does not seem suitable for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones