Simultaneous call and data

Last Updated:

1. Cleargrey

Cleargrey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just started using my Desire last night! Feeling good.

However...

Was just on a call, tried to use the Android Marketplace. Couldn't.
    Got curious, and tried to use Google Maps mid call. Couldn't.
    Tried to use the internet during the call. Couldn't.

:eek:

Now, I'm on T-Mobile (UK) and have just come from a Nokia E71. With my E71 I could make a call and use Google Maps.

Am I missing something or is this bit of multitasking somehow not possible???

Please tell me I'm missing something!

Advertisement
  2. lazarus101

lazarus101 Well-Known Member

Did you have 3G signal when this happened? If you selected to only use 2G networks to save battery then it's normal, simultaneous voice and data only works on 3G

3. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

That's a relief. I've panicked a bit, but then I only get GPRS at work. I'll have to test it at home with strong 3G signal.

4. Cleargrey

Their response when I emailed them:

"If you start the call being connected through 2G, then yes the internet will then work. But as soon as the signal goes over to 3G then the internet connection and usuage will be turned off.

When it comes to wifi, if you are in a call and you are connected to wifi, then you should be able to surf.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Thank you for contacting HTC.

"

So it looks like maybe I was calling on 3G. I just tried again with wifi on and then off and it worked this time.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I find that strange, and tbh I don't actually believe them. Surely this is a network issue, not a phone issue? For instance some american carriers cannot do both simultaneously. If theDesire cannot do this, yet the Hero can on a UK network, I will be extremely surprised.

6. Cleargrey

I tell you one thing, it gets messy when support is not well informed. After trying a few times more, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's not quite Sprint in the states which can't handle it on their networks at all, but it does seem to depend on what connection I have.

I'll try to pin down what works and what doesn't.

7. lazarus101

lazarus101 Well-Known Member

simultaneous voice and data is not supported on CDMA networks (such as Sprint & Verizon) that's a well known limitation.
    On GSM it should work with 3G connections but if the signal drops to EDGE or GPRS while you're on a call it won't reconnect to 3G until the voice connection is terminated.
    If this was a network issue then it would be the same for all phones on that network.