Simultaneous Data and Voice

Last Updated:

1. MauiDude

MauiDude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know I know, Who really needs it? I probably don't need it persay...But! I want it !!!!!! Just to have the peace of mind that phone calls won't interupt stuff. There have been times that I could both at the same time. Anyone think it might be implementef later?? This is a real dream killer for me. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member

At least the EVO will multitask, so I don't think it's a problem. Since so people are interested in simultaneous voice and data, maybe they'll add that feature later. In the meantime, I think we have a lot to look forward to.

3. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

As much as I could say I don't need it or I would never use it, there have been countless times I have looked things up online on my iPhone while on a call on speakerphone.

So I can say, it is definitely a nice feature to have if you need it.

4. Sassy_Lina

Sassy_Lina Well-Known Member

I think this will be available after the launch. Too many bugs to work out as far as Sprint's network. Definitely see it as a viable option in the future though.

5. MauiDude

Well, I will surely be buying this phone anyway. Coming from a Winmo touch pro. Anything is a definite inprovement! I CANNOT wait! I'm having caffeine spasms! haha

6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

it has to do with the network, not the phone. as of now CDMA/3g cannot do this BUT 4g is CAPABLE of doing such tasks SOOOO if your wishful and keep your head held high sprint might grant your wish when in 4g range

7. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I spend about a grand total of 15-20 minutes on the phone per month (sometimes none at all) so this doesn't bother me. Either way, there is no reason why you can't use a 3rd party program like Skype to encode audio (and video) as straight data over 4G. It's just not something the current phone software is set up to handle I assume. I always felt that the simultaneous voice/data thing was a bigger deal from a marketing standpoint than anything. AT&T makes a big deal out of it on TV yet ignores the fact that for the most part, their flagship device can't usually do more than one thing at a time anyway unless it is one of a few applications. For me, being able to flip between browser, chat, calendar, and streaming radio is much more important to me. I can't count the number of times my iPod has flashed up a message and I clicked on it without thinking, only to have whatever I am running shut off.

8. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

it's not critical for me but it's definitely a "nice to have".

maybe this is one of the surprises that Hesse et al were referring to???

9. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

10. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

15-20 minutes or none? that's it??? strange.

11. Sassy_Lina

12. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

Srsly, if I used that little of a phone, I would not be spending at the least, 70 dollars a month on a phone.

13. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

what about your husband? is he keeping his Pre and are you keeping him?

14. Sassy_Lina

Both:)

15. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member

I also do less than 100 minutes a month on my phone, but do a crazy amount of data lol.

I'm a text machine lol.

16. MauiDude

I use voice a nominal amount. The things is that I have a dedicated phone just for voice calls. Now with the new plans I have to get rid of that one if I want a new smartphone! Thanks Sprint! So that's why I'm so hoping that simultaneous voice and data will become a reality. I need one phone that does both well. Haaa....decisions decisions.....

17. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

18. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

19. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

20. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

21. MauiDude

Well , I'm hoping for the best. This is basically the only area that AT&T and T-mobile have over Sprint and Verizon. This is the feature I've been waiting for from my first Winmo phone the PPC-6700. Which was the ugliest phone in the world! haha. Now 4 phones (all Winmo) down the line I'm ready for Android.

22. treefq

treefq Active Member

As has already been mentioned it actually is pretty imperative to get simultaneous voice/Data. If your using your phone as a hotspot and then someone calls the line, what happens?

23. MauiDude

Wow, never thought of that one. Exactly! It IS imperative! That would totally negate the Hotspot feature. They have to get it working! I'm happy again! haha

24. ImGreen

ImGreen Well-Known Member

I actually use my phone phone for phone calls quite often each month... some months are as high as 5000+ minutes. And I use simultaneous data via WiFi.

So while I would like to see simultaneous voice & 4G data very soon, I do not think it is a deal breaker. And by the way I used to have a Mogul too with tethering. The tethering saved me big time a few times, but it was rare that I would use that feature, so not being able to talk or receive calls for a few minutes while I uploaded an important e-mail, file, etc. was not a big deal to me.

:D

25. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

When I had my Treo700wx, I didn't care about voice+data because the phone was a fossil and it would have done little good. My mind changed when I got the Hero, because I use a Jawbone2 bluetooth headset and the more capable phone has made me really see the need for this. At least the Hero does a good job resuming data processes when the voice call stops and thinks like google IM chat will send you messages when a call knocks you from offline.