• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simultaneous voice and data

alfick3

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2011
DFW, TX
So recently my work switched us from At&t blackberry's over to Verizon iPhone 5S'. Aside from it being an iPhone, I am glad to be off the BlackBerry. One thing tho, we can't talk and have LTE data at the same time. I thought the whole thing of LTE was that we could get simultaneous voice and data. It really stinks 'cause while I'm on the phone talking with hardware support, or a customer, I can't get any service calls or messages. Is this a standard for Verizon, or CDMA carriers? I could have sworn that when I had MetroPCS CDMA LTE phone (LG Motion 4G) I was able to have both. Any way, thanks for any and all info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

It would need another radio to get simultaneous voice and data.

Source:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/11/ip...ltaneous-data-and-voice-on-verizon-or-sprint/

"Apple confirmed to us that the iPhone will not allow simultaneous data and voice on CDMA. The problem, says the company, does not reside with the iPhone but the networks involved.

That’s partially true, as it would actually be possible for Apple to allow this functionality by adding additional radios. But it does not in order to keep the phone thin and light. It is also unlikely to make that concession because Voice over LTE capability is likely to come to carriers and devices sooner rather than later. This would mean that devices would only lack simultaneous access when they fell back to older network methods like 3G. You can read a very thorough explanation of the reasons behind this over at Anandtech."

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Advanced calling is free, just needs to be added to the account. To turn it on for the iPhone, so to settings, cellular, data, and select use for voice and data. That will allow if your on lte to do voice and data at the same time.
Went and checked this morning and I don't have that option. Under settings, Cellular, I have Cellular data, LTE, roaming, personal hotspot. And then a list of apps that are allowed to use apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones