Since you cannot save apps to microSD, how many apps can you have on the Hero?

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So yes with the iPhone you can have lots and lots of apps because it is internal memory but im wondering how many apps you will be able to install onto the hero? Some games take up a lot of space, no?

Advertisement
  2. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

For the most part, apps take up very little space (like 100-200kB). Some games and reference apps will take up more space (some as much as 10+MB).

So it really depends what kinds of apps you want to install. Unless you plan on installing a lot of games, you'll really be fine. In the future, I'd imagine that the Android platform will probably allow apps to be installed to the SD card. For the time being though, the app store isnt all that huge, so most people wont be filling up that space.

3. venzent

venzent New Member

If you run Cyanogen, apps2sd is available, but i think it is possible to install it as a seperate app. I've it running on my Magic, must be possible on the Hero as well.

4. vkri2

vkri2 New Member

I'm considering the HTC Hero because of a bug in Palm's Pre webOS device that Palm refuses to acknowledge or fix. With my Pre, I've tried to install applications and keep getting an out of memory error. This requires that I uninstall an application first then install a new one. I find this lame.

Has anyone hit such a limit/problem with the HTC Hero? How large is the internal memory on the device anyway? I'm mostly an app and video guy (as opposed to music) and hope not to run into this problem again.

Thanks!

5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

The Hero has 512MB of flash memory. This may seem like very little compared to the iPhone's 16-32GB, but what you have to remember is that most of the iPhone's space is for music and videos, not apps. The Hero has expandable microSD for your media.

From what I've seen on the Android Marketplace, most large apps will store the bulk of their data on your microSD card. There are very few apps that will use more than 10MB of your internal flash memory, most wont even reach 5MB. Filling up that whole 512MB of space with apps will take a while, and if it ever does reach the point of being full, you can always root the Hero and use apps2SD (assuming Google doesn't enable it in a future OS update, in which case rooting wouldn't even be necessary).