• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sipdroid/gizmo 5 being blocked on verizon 3g

shred1

Jul 4, 2010
I have been using sipdroid with gizmo 5 and GV on my Incredible for many months now.It has been working well until this morning.I now get a 500 server Internal error trying to connect.If I switch over to wifi sipdroid connects fine. it seems sometime last night verizon started filtering gizmo5. This really sucks,I haven't called cust service because I know that will lead nowhere. Anyone else wake up to voip not working via 3g?:thinking:

I see the same symptom with sipphone.com (gizmo5) and sipgate: Sipdroid connects fine via wireless but not 3G on Verizon using my Droid Incredible. On 3G, Sipdroid's connection indicator goes yellow for awhile, then appears to timeout and go red. This problem started at least a week ago.

My pbxes account, however, still seems to connect fine via 3G.

Perhaps pbxes is better at negotiating an alternate port (than 5060)? It's hard to imagine that Verizon is blocking specific domains; I would think they're blocking port numbers. But I'm just guessing.

My pbxes setup is pretty much the one described here.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior or provide any more information about how exactly Verizon is blocking sipgate, etc?

Anyway, given that it's still working with pbxes, I'm still a happy Verizon customer, for the time being.

Upvote 0
I too tried to get GV working with the new PBXes setup. I even purchased a premium account so I could use it with sipdroid and my linksys pap2t router. I got outgoing to work but incoming didn't work. Outgoing was really choppy even though I was right next to the router. Everyone on my contacts list said I was spamming them with chat invites even though I have chat options set to contact list only as they recommend in their forums.

Upon canceling my paypal subscription to PBXes (I already paid them for a month) - they disabled my premium account, after I paid for it. Upon emailing them asking why my account got disabled. lol. Wouldn't recommend this service.

Sad to see Verizon working so hard to curb Voip. Then again, I'd be afraid of voip if I was a cellular company too considering the cost difference. lol.

Upvote 0
I got the PBXes config to work ok technically, but it introduces a good 1 second delay to both sides of the conversation. Not using the STUN server has helped, and I personally haven't had any issues with call quality. I removed my PBXes config as it just didn't work as expected.

I asked Sipgate customer service if their STUN server was down, but they blamed Verizon. I don't think it's Verizon's issue at this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones