• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Siyah kernel - Dummies Guide

I think this was just a failsafe for people on SuperSU as opposed to SuperUser, as there were some issues with Siyah and SuperSU.

If you are coming from a previous Siyah you would have done this already presumably, so I would say no.
If you have never done this, then I would do it to be safe.

Lol errm NO. I read that and havent got a clue what it means. When I first installed Andy X I had SU and SUperuser in my app list. Upgrading to V13 SU didnt exist.
Then after many reinstalls SU reappeared and Super User didnt. Now On VK I have SU and no Superuser.

Sometimes Chainfire should just leave things alone.

Upvote 0
I've been getting wifi releated problems lately. My battery graph shows that it is on constantly even when I know it is not (I see wifi reconnecting when I turn on my screen) Now this hasnt had an adverse affect on battery, but today after 3.2.8, it took a big hit. Noticed a very susbstantial L2_HSIC wakelock.

Seems like this is a quite a common problem particularly on the Note. Consensus is that its Modem related, but I'm not so sure yet. I will have to do some more digging....

Upvote 0
SiyahKernel v3.2.8.1 is now up.
This also fixes the L2_HSIC wakelock that I noticed was introduced in the previous version. Good old Gok! :)

Posted on June 3, 2012
Changelog:

lots of merges with n7000 update3 sources (/kernel /mm /fs /block /net)
and some platform specific merges (cpufreq driver and usb related)
this release is probably the last v3.2 version. in v3.3beta I will use i9300 base and have a single repository for i9100 and i9300, which requires a little more time than I have now.
XZ compression because new flags and features make the kernel to exceed 8MB with gzip compression.

Upvote 0
Found this in the Siyah discussion thread on XDA:

Since our beloved DEV has a shiny new Galaxy s3, future versions of this kernel will be mainly stabilization patches so please continue reporting bugs/issues here so GM can leave development on a rock-solid version for us.

I'm guessing Siyah development for S2 has come to an abrupt halt to only compatibility patches - Gokhan wants to play around with S3...

Any recommendations for the next best kernel for S2 still in active development?

Upvote 0
Could be the beginning of the end for frequent siyah kernel updates

Not yet.... v3.3.1 has been posted; now merged with Linux 3.0.y branch.

Found this in the Siyah discussion thread on XDA

I think the OP made a few assumptions and jumped the gun. Gokhanmoral himself has not announced that he's ceasing development.

Any recommendations for the next best kernel for S2 still in active development?

That would be better asked in a new thread, as a courtesy to Gokanmoral. ;)

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
I think the OP made a few assumptions and jumped the gun. Gokhanmoral himself has not announced that he's ceasing development.
I concur; but being realist here, I'd salute his efforts if he can manage his time to still produce fast quality releases for the S2... now that he has an i9300 as his main unit to focus on; adding the consideration that his partner will be using the S2 as her main phone rather than a test unit... guess only time will tell on future releases...

I think we should be looking at a really great Siyah kernel for the SGSII... if he values his sex life. ;)
If she ever experiences bootloops... like what happened with many users of 3.2.8... he'll be more tech-support than a kernel-cook to save his bacon... and sex life... lol.

Upvote 0
I used to do a lot of tinkering with governors/schedulers and undervolting etc.
I eventually came to the conclusion that as far as undervolting is concerned it doesnt make too much difference in real-world terms.
I now therefore just stick to the defaults that come with the kernel, as I believe Gokhan has a far better appreciation on what is best for his own kernel.

I therefore put on "battery" profile, which by default sets pegasusq/cfq governor/scheduler and leave it at that.

ironass still does further tweaking in this respect I believe

Reactions: ooberandy
Upvote 0
Hawker/ ironass, could I ask which governor you both use with your Siyah Kernels ?

Hawker's right... since Siyah's kernels for ICS I have just used the stock, "Battery", settings in ExTweaks for the Siyah kernel and just enabled BLN.

U/v'ing by -25mV or -50mV is peanuts in the overall usage and can end up slowing, or freezing, your phone. The same applies to u/v'ing the GPU.

I'm more than happy with gokhanmoral's settings for Siyah. :D

(I do a few minor tweaks if I'm using the NEAK kernel as I use different defaults.)

Reactions: ooberandy
Upvote 0
Well I just updated the siyah kernel 3.3.1 and I have just done a little sex wee. Never seen anything like it on 3 uk
5c28feab-9890-7f78.jpg

Upvote 0
since I am using Siyah 3.7.2 my battery is running out after 5-6 hours...
I am using Andy V13,
with the Andy kernel battery life of my S2 was much longer.

I did no special settings using extweaks, just default usage of the sinay kernel

I would definitely recommend using ExTweaks with the Siyah kernel and just selecting Battery as the default setting. This will then configure the Siyah kernel to give you the best battery usage for it.

Reactions: timberwolf62
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones