• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The Nexus Prime forum is alight with rumors, speculation and known specs on it. Once we have an actual NAME for the thing on Verizon, mods will do their magic and shuffle the forums up. I highly recommend you join that forum too, if you haven't done so already.

To answer your question: Nothing "official" yet but it's looking more and more like 4.65" :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if the software buttons can be hidden? Because, honestly if they can't whats the point? You have this nice big screen and you can't use it. I'm sure hoping those buttons disappear for movies and games.

None of us can tell for sure until ICS is released. But I think that will be the case, software buttons disappearing for full screen videos, games.

Upvote 0
When you tap the screen the buttons show up at the bottom.

Only problem I see with this is quite a few games require tapping screen. Then you run into the issue of selecting an app or setting - the keys will aappear and disappear. That would drive the shit out of me.

I love big screens. If these software keys are static I do not see the point of this phones design. It would be like buying a 60 inch tv that has a 1 inch letter box that cannot be removed.

I don't think stretching would be an issue if reso and dpi are taken into consideration. This phone has me really excited but this is a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
Only problem I see with this is quite a few games require tapping screen. Then you run into the issue of selecting an app or setting - the keys will aappear and disappear. That would drive the shit out of me.

I love big screens. If these software keys are static I do not see the point of this phones design. It would be like buying a 60 inch tv that has a 1 inch letter box that cannot be removed.

I don't think stretching would be an issue if reso and dpi are taken into consideration. This phone has me really excited but this is a deal breaker.

Looks like you almost made up your mind even before seeing it. Let's take a look how that works on full screen once ICS comes out.

Upvote 0
Also, lets say you want to rearrange the keys at the bottom. I like Moto and Samsungs layout over htcs and the previous nexus's layout. You might be able to map where the menu, home, back, and search keys are or even change them completely. Lets say you don't use the search key for some reason, you might be able to change it to an app you use more often. The possibilities are endless with what you might be able to do with ics. We just have to wait and see. I really doubt Google will let us down.

Upvote 0
I really doubt it auto-hides the softkeys in full screen. If it did, how would I back out of fullscreen? The extra space would lead to stretched video anyway, it's not really needed.
Wonder if they've found a way to use proximity or other sensors to support something like mouse hover. It's something I like a lot in desktop browsers (hides lots of small controls from cluttering the screen until you mouse nearby) and miss on touch devices.

Upvote 0
My assumption is that they will force developers to create menus within apps and games. I think i read somewhere that they want transparency between tablets and phones with ICS. In return, the software keys will disappear. It has to be. There is no point in putting a bigger screen in, if a percent of it is designated for software buttons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones