Skinning Handcent SMSGeneral

Last Updated:

1. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so what I'm wanting to do is change a few png's in Handcent SMS such as the icon for the home screen, and the text entry box colors, etc. So I have the latest Handcent apk, changed the icon, and some colors that I liked for other things, and put the apk on my sd card. When I tried to install, it says, Application Not Installed. I'm NOT ROOTED and I read somewhere that the application needs to be signed or something?
    I'm not a developer, I just want to change a few colors of things in Handcent that you can't already customize in the app. Why won't it install, and how can I make it?

Advertisement
  2. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

What you are trying to do is hack the compiled install file made from the developer. To make these kinds of changes, you'd have to actually have the project files that the developer created using the Android SDK, make your changes, and re-compile. Since Handcent is NOT open source, I doubt there is any other way unless there's some sort of decompiler for APK files.

3. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There was another guy that themed Handcent to a red looking theme. All he did was change the colors of some PNG's. He posted it online, I downloaded, and it installed fine.

4. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

+1 Don't know the ins and outs of Android development specifically, but this makes a lot of sense.

5. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

try opening the apk with WinZip and see what you find

edit: I guess you already did that - well it probably has to do with signing... when you make a change to the apk, you're compromising the file's signature. you'd have to make your changes and then re-sign the apk file, which really should not be done.