1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Skip app update / turn off those specific notifications?

Last Updated:

1. alex17

alex17 Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to skip 1 particular app update, or at least turn off the notification that this app update is available, but *not* lose other app update notifications. This isn't about email, sms, battery, or other notifications, only the notifications that app updates are available.

Specifically: Yelp just released an update that wants permission to view my phonebook. I don't see why they need that and don't want to give permission. The older version of Yelp did not seem to ask for this, and I'm happy w/ the app and prefer not to uninstall totally, just skip this particular update with the feature I don't like. (Appreciate your thoughts on that Yelp / privacy issue too, fwiw).

So, I want to get rid of the notification for this particular update. But, I don't want to turn off notifications when other apps have available updates. When I click on the notification, I have option to "update" or "uninstall." Neither is what I want, I want to "skip this update, keep app." The top bar icon goes away after I check, but it comes right back soon after, always w/ the Yelp update waiting there, sometimes w/ other updates for other apps too. How to get rid of the one I don't want, keep the others coming through?

Thanks very much.

(Original Moto Droid, running 2.2.)

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I would use an app like Astro (from the market), to back up the app's .apk file. Then uninstall it via the market and install it again using the .apk + astro. It should reinstall Yelp but without the market link.

That should work so long as Yelp isn't a protected app to prevent you backing it up.

(G) likes this.
  3. alex17

alex17 Member This Topic's Starter

Ah ha, never occurred to me, and didn't realize that installing that way would disconnect fr market updates. I'll try, thanks!

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, unless it's been updated since I last used it, Astro isn't capable of restoring the market links.

Titanium Backup and MyBackup Pro are the only ones capable of it to my knowledge.

5. emkayca

emkayca New Member

I need to do this with an app that was placed on the phone by the carrier.

Market keeps trying to get me to update it, but I don't use it or want it.

Since the original .apk is in ROM, any ideas how I can accomplish that?

(Sorry for reactivating an old thread, but this just not got irritating for me. :()

6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Sadly, this doesn't seem to work any more. I've used TB to break market links many, many, many times and lately they just re-spawn all over again.