Sky Go - has anyone managed to beat the rooted block yet?

Last Updated:

1. heartburnron

heartburnron Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to sky go being launched for Android so was gutted that it doesn't work for rooted devices. Has anyone found a way around this yet?

Advertisement
  2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

dynomot and heartburnron like this.
  3. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

Not used sky go, but on shotguns recommendation have used this successfully to beat the root block on playing google videos from market.
    dynomot and heartburnron like this.
  4. steslatt

steslatt Well-Known Member

heartburnron likes this.
  5. Shotgun84

It worked fine for me running the latest siyah. It won't work if you won't to temporarily unroot and then change firmware and reroot. But it does the job if you only want to hide root from certain apps.
    heartburnron likes this.
  6. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

It works for me too on NEAK (if root checker is anything to go by)
    heartburnron likes this.
  7. steslatt

steslatt Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant the sky go app. The rootkeeper seems to work but it doesn't make a difference on a custom kernel when trying to use the sky go app. Well for me anyway and others on XDA have reported the same thing. Apparently it only works for rooted stock kernels.
    heartburnron likes this.
  8. ROHIT345

ROHIT345 Active Member

Just try using speedmod kernel from xda and use the app above to hide root...had read on speedmod thread that it works with skygo app ...
    maxbiaggi and heartburnron like this.
  9. Shotgun84

Ah sorry, I get you now.
  10. heartburnron

Thanks to all for your input. I can confirm that after flashing the Speedmod Kernal and then hiding the root using the Voodoo OTA app, Sky Go is now running perfecting on my rooted SGS2!! I WIN!!! Lol. Thank's to all for your guidance. Used Ironass's guide to flash my first kernal and used Hawkers GS2Wiper for the scripts. Love these forums!

One slight flaw I have after flashing this kernal is that I had the Android zaps apple boot animation before flashing, now when it boots the audio for the andriod zaps apple animation can be heard however the screen displays the stock boot. If I reflash the andriod zaps apple animation or indeed a different one from kitchen pro would this overwrite the current problem or am I asking for trouble? Alternatively has anyone any suggestions how I delete the audio?
    maxbiaggi likes this.
  11. ROHIT345

ROHIT345 Active Member

Speedmod doesn't support custom boot animation... as far as I know...but there is a workaround search in speedmod thread ...
    heartburnron likes this.
  12. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

Are you using check rom? If so, kitchen-mods-boot sound off. This mod gets rid of all boot audio.
    heartburnron likes this.
  13. heartburnron

Yes, spotted that in kitchen pro last night. Thanks.
  14. johnbhoyc

johnbhoyc Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get sky go working on checkrom. I'm getting a "file system error" when trying to install speedmod from the kitchen. Anyone help?
  15. Shotgun84

16. cozins17

cozins17 Well-Known Member

any ideas for any other roms? Currently on wanamlite and doesn't work with that, haven't find anything googling yet!
  17. l14m3

l14m3 Well-Known Member

18. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

I downloaded Voodoo from Android Market (or Play or whatever it's called)but I still get the old error message when I try and run Sky Go about the app not running on rooted phones. Any suggestions? Am I missing something? I'm running CheckROM v6 and NEAK 1.4x...
  19. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

In a nutshell.... Yes!

You can only use Voodoo with certain kernels mentioned in this thread. ;)
    turbohobbit likes this.
  20. heartburnron

As mentioned earlier in this thread, sky go will work with the speedmod kernel and the voodoo app. It seems this or a stock kernel are the only options...
    turbohobbit likes this.
  21. turbohobbit

Arsegibbon.

I thought I saw Hawker say that it worked with NEAK. I must've misunderstood. Ah well. Annoying but not the end of the world. I just don't understand why Sky have done this in the first place.
  22. johnbhoyc

johnbhoyc Well-Known Member

I'm running Checkrom v6, 2.6.35.7 hardcore@speedmod-s2 #k2-21.

Installed voodoo and temporary unrooted but still getting the "not supported on rooted devices" error.

Any suggestions?
  23. captin caveman

captin caveman Well-Known Member

Im on CheckRom V6 , swopped kernal to Speedmod via the Kitchen and temp unrooted with the Voodoo app and hey presto ! Sky sports news on while the kid watches Mickey mouse -_-

Screw you Merdoch !!!
    maxbiaggi likes this.
  24. heartburnron

Yeah but the next problem is when you upgrade to ics sky go doesn't work. Nor does bbc iplayer or itv for me on vk rom.

Another thing to bare in mind is that on the speedmod kernal the option to create a nandroid back up in cwm is disabled. I've had to flash back to a siyah kernal to do a nandroid although that isn't a big deal in itself...
  25. turbohobbit

Quite so :(