Skyfire 2.0 Beta BrowserGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ryko

ryko Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just saw this on Engadget works well if not a little slow (beta) but it converts flash video's so they can play:) you can download it here Choose your device

Advertisement
  2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

it is slow but the quality of video is absolutely amazing. even over 3 g lol. does buffer a little though

3. Yathushan

Yathushan Well-Known Member

I just saw the Engadget video. Im just wondering although it looks amazing. Will it run good on the phone or is it laggy slightly?? Also I am just wondering whether multi-touch is support by the phone as the browser seems to accept it??

Skyfire 2.0 beta for Android video preview! -- Engadget

4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

I had Skyfire back in my WinMo days, it was a bit good.

5. ryko

ryko Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

No multi-touch, on the Galaxy

6. yorkzhang

yorkzhang Member

It's too slow on my galaxy.

7. Jukov

Jukov Member

My expectations were high but right from the beginning I had troubles.
    First of all the browser was nowhere to be found on the market. Ok, no problem , went on to allowing non-market apps in Settings and downloaded it right from the web.
    First run - crashed.
    Second run loads a pretty sweet start page with some preinsatalled site links ala' Opera, with one extra "dice" link which is a link to a random (?) site. Couldn't change the links on this page to my favorite sites. Even if this option is there, it's not obvious, since this is also not allowed in settings.

Loading times. Using NYTimes as a benchmark I've managed to achieve 15 sec to fully loaded site over WiFi. 3G network is twice as slow.
    No pinch-to-zoom and no multitouch.

Video feature is a nice solution, but while it allows you to watch the embedded videos, the loading times are slow, videos keep freezing.

Third run - crashed.

All in all I think it's a very nice browser, which renders sites as expected, and would be a good addition to your phone, but I wouldn't recommend it on Galaxy as a main browser.

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

it does have pinch and multitouch if you have a device that supports it. galaxy doesnt as it doesnt have drivers that allow it so you cant blame skyfire for that

i can find it on the market perfectly

its not crashed yet but then im running galaxo 1.6.2 with home++ and removed advanced launcher to save memory and cpu utilisation

other points you made are valid and the slowness is annoying, however i havent found a video yet in flash that it cannot play which is a problem for nearly all android devices.
    i like the fact its free and should only get better as its beta

9. Bomberman

Bomberman Well-Known Member

I found it staight away - yes a little slow but overall I liked it :) Still a beta people :)

10. angeamon

angeamon Well-Known Member

Skyfires a good browser.. atleast seems better than the opera mini, however if there were options to customize the start screen with websites of our choice and if the "pin zoom" from xscope browser is incorporated in this browser, then it would definately give other browsers a run for their money ...

Anyways, its a good effort .. but till i can get a stabler version of skyfire, i guess i ll be using xscope as my primary browser :)