Skyfire Black Screen After Uninstalling Stock Browser.

Last Updated:

1. Leogorath

Leogorath Member This Topic's Starter

Not sure if this has been asked before (didn't see a thread on it, anyway), but...

I uninstalled Android's default browser (Browser.apk) after reading from this post that it was safe, as long as another browser was installed.

Afterward, Dolphin and Opera seem to work fine (although I hate Opera, but that's another story). Skyfire, however, just comes up to a black screen, and doesn't do anything else until I decide to exit.

Is Skyfire just an overlay of features onto the stock browser, or could something else have disabled it?

Also, is there a place/way I can re-download/re-install the stock browser? I mean, I guess I could re-flash my ROM, but that seems a bit excessive.

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. thebals

thebals New Member

I am having the same issue. I am running Fresh Hero 2.4. I thought it was cause of a conflict between Skyrire and the custom ROM, but seems like it is because I uninstalled the stock browser.

3. Leogorath

Yeah... I just wound up moving on to Dolphin. It seems to work okay.

4. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

The one thing I noticed in the time I spent testing Skyfire was that everytime I launched it, the stock browser would also be launched because both would be listed in my running apps even though I never launched the stock broswer. I have to wonder if the stock browser is somehow needed to run Skyfire and that is why your screen is black.

5. thebals

thebals New Member

Finally, last night I re-installed the stock browser and as expected Skyfire works fine now! I agree with flyinjoe13, Skyfire somehow needs the stock browser.

While Skyfire was not working, I tried Dolphin. It supports flash in a very different way from Skyfire. In Skyfire the videos get buffered on their servers, hence we do not have to d/l the clip whereas in Dolphin the clip gets d/l to the cellphone (takes a long time, due to filesize) and then plays on the phone.

Just IMO, I an a fan of how Skyfire handles any video; as it is much faster and uses much less data.

6. Leogorath

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably try putting the stock browser back in at some point, and see what happens. :D