Skyfire browser is amazingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

They just updated it and its more stable but faster. Go try it out if you haven't already.

Advertisement
  2. bird jam

bird jam Well-Known Member

What advantages does it have over the stock browser? [/total n00b on day 5 of owning his first smartphone]

3. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan - although I find it ironic that a browser that's main attraction is it's ability to handle Flash movies can't handle a lot of embedded Flash (I get how it works, it's just funny that I have to use the stock browser for some sites... because of Flash).

4. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Ha ha, I am in the same boat and would also like to know.

5. mobilehavoc

I like the speed and user interface better. It also does Flash video on some sites.

6. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

For one thing, if you go to a site that contains Flash movies, it'll (usually) detect the movie and offer to convert it to HTML5 (server-side) so you get a really nice looking version of the video to watch.

7. mobilehavoc

8. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Wow... as soon as the stock browser lets me down I'll check it out.

But that hasn't happened yet...

9. PMass

PMass Member

I tried this browser and went back to the default bc the pinch zoom was way slower with Skyfire... are you guys seeing this too or is there a way to fix that?

10. winstonoboogie

winstonoboogie Well-Known Member

I tried Skyfre with the last beta release but found that it would often have trouble properly displaying the mobile version of some sites where the stock browser seemed faster and smoother. I also prefer the smooth pinch-to-zoom versus Skyfire's version which does it in steps.

11. Buckwild

Buckwild Well-Known Member

It's definitely choppier than the stock browser. But I don't really use pinch to zoom anyways. I prefer the good ol' +/- buttons.

There is an option in the settings menu that allows you set the default level of zoom when you're viewing a page so you won't have to zoom in or out too much.

12. htcghost

htcghost Member

the "laggy" pinch-zoom was a big turn off from reading reviews and to read that some flashes don't even work makes it similar to our android browser anyways. i'm not seeing much reason to use it.

13. clancy

clancy Member

Have not tried SKyfire yet but Opera seems good. It is fast and fairly easy to use. Only thing not supported is multitouch.

14. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

Stock browser is head and shoulders above either opera or skyfire. How can you not use pinch to zoom. It bogglee the mind.

15. Chillout

Chillout Well-Known Member

I downloaded skyfire last night when i saw a tweet about the update that came down. I downloaded it and the pinch/zoom seemed to be not near as clunky as the first beta release which was good, however it was so incredibly slow that any page, containing flash videos or not, was painful to try and view. Just to make sure I switched back over to the stock browser that I normally use and things were zipping along as quick as ever so for now I uninstalled skyfire but I'll keep following the progress and give it a shot later on most likely.