Skyfire is here! (New browser)General

Last Updated:

1. smacky

smacky Banned This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

Installed and can't get it to load any pages. On 2.1 v.2.

3. JohnnyThumbz

JohnnyThumbz Well-Known Member

+1, "web page not available"...

4. smacky

Crud. Same here. And I specifically read through the first XDA comments to make sure it worked, and people said it worked great, one said too slow, but it still worked. Hmmm. I was about to restart my phone and see if that helped.

Man, this is such an awesome browser for WinMo I was excited to finally have it on Android but... :(

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

pwn3d

from XDA

6. korben dallas

korben dallas Well-Known Member

How rude!

7. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

that was someone elses reaction on XDA. i don't think it was rude, on the contrary I think it was pretty nice of him to even post. this was leaked, and they didn't want it leaked, so they cut the cord on it till it's ready

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

"..early alpha version.."

That's a clue to consider yourself a tester for the product, even if it is made specifically for the Android system.

Betas are chancy enough, especially the early ones. I know; I'm always running various linux distro alphas and betas on one of my laptops.. to submit bug reports.

9. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Accidental post!

10. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Agreed

11. smacky

Yeah. Oh well. That sucks ass, but we'll live.

12. pjwren13

pjwren13 Well-Known Member

It will be nice once its ready. I had it on a winmo phone and loved it. Its one of the best browsers i've ever used.

13. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Meh, I'm not so excited about this. I'm not wild on the idea of trusting anybody to keep the web pages I surf to confidential, for one thing.

Skyfire's big feature is that it can play Flash video for you. If that's a big deal to you, great. I wouldn't use it for online banking or anything, though.

On WM, I always thought that Opera Mini was faster and better than Skyfire. In particular, whenever you zoomed in our out, Opera Mini was instantly clear to read, while Skyfire was unreadable for a while until they pushed you a new image. It was way too annoying.

14. nathanirwin311

nathanirwin311 Well-Known Member

The beta version is out today. You can get it on the market. I have been using for about an hour and like it. Not quite as fast as opera but more features like pinch to zoom and plays flash. Download | Skyfire

15. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member

Ya I wont be using this..

1. Can we say battery hog? All that content regardless of servers is going to use it as well as memory.
    2. Mobile banking, not tursting some cloud until its been proven and fully tested with a clean track record.
    3. Looks very cluttered.
    4. I dislike dolphin and opera both are clunky to use and take up screen realestate with address bar and tools and such. This looks no different.
    5. Can you set it as the default browser?

Sticking with my stock browser for the moment.

16. Thedarksunlight

Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. People seem not to care that much about the security and will click on anything. I hardly trust the built in browser stand alone. This browser seems like a good alternative for those who do alot of youtube and social networking and do not use their phones for important things.

Who gives if someone steals ur facebook password. The banking account one on the other hand....

17. bronc

bronc Active Member

seems like it renders pages slower than it did on my winmo phone. Other than that it is solid. But the extremely fast rendering was what i was really looking forward to. I'll stick with the default browser for now but keep an eye on this.

18. smacky

Well, someone said the beta was there so I checked it out. After testing it, it's slow and frustrating.

At the end of the day, with SkyFire, Dolphin, Opera, etc., I feel this stock browser is the best.

19. BCEagle

BCEagle Active Member

Being able to finally watch a YouTube video on my phone is enough for me to switch (Still on 1.5).

20. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I love this browser! Now I can use flash :D. Is there suppose to be pinch to zoom?

21. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet:

Holding the "back" button pulls up an exit menu, with a checkbox to clear the session history.

My opinion - looks nice but as stated in a few posts above, the page rendering is a bit slow compared to Opera. It's got potential. I say not bad for a beta.

22. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I agree 100% ... its far to slow and I went back to the stock browser. Funny thing though, when I uninstalled SkyFire it changed my keyboard input to spanish ... it took me a little bit to fgure out why word like "they" or "always" were not in the dictionary.

Pinch zoom is not available for 1.5

23. wilceaux

wilceaux Well-Known Member

xScope

24. cpupeli1

cpupeli1 Well-Known Member

xScope for me too

But has anyone noticed, SkyFire is rendering the FULL webpages not the mobile/lite versions? At least for me it is, and it is going a bit slow yes, but not bad at all. Once you've bookmarked your webpages you're good.

I know not all sites have mobile versions but I've definitely noticed SkyFire defaulting to the full webpages. Not a bad thing, but I retested xScope and the stock browser and they both default to the mobile sites on webpages SkyFire loads the full page.

25. Teqknique

Teqknique Active Member

I believe there is a setting where you can change the default page type from full/android/iPhone

I wasn't too impressed with Skyfire's 2.0 beta but it definately is a good start. Any1 else notice lag with they're multi touch zoom?