1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Skyfire v Dolphin HD v Opera 5 v Stock

Last Updated:

1. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that we have all of these high end options to choose from, who has tried all and which do you feel is best?

Skyfire is amazing, its like a PC browser. Haven't really done long term tests on Opera or Phin HD.

Forgot about xScope. If somebody can add that to the title, please do.

Advertisement
  2. wilceaux

wilceaux Well-Known Member

xScope is my favorite. I really like the interface and functionality.
    The lack of flash is the only drawback.

I have tried all of them except for Skyfire, btw.

3. Kevin_C

Kevin_C Member

Skyfire gets my vote

4. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi Well-Known Member

Skyfire is way too slow. Maybe it's because I'm on a slower phone, a Samsung Moment. I use Opera most of the time because it's really fast and the default browser when Opera doesn't want to work right. I also tried Dolphin HD and it also seems a bit slow. Haven't used it much though. I did use the standard Dolphin browser for a while and it was fine, like the default browser with a few extra features but also some quirks. It takes some getting used to.

5. midge37

midge37 Well-Known Member

Using stock and Opera on my Hero. Gave up with Dolphin and Dolphin HD as found them very slow.

6. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

xScope wins.

7. chepes3x

chepes3x Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD is the best... i use it on my Incredible and is awesome.

8. MisterMixelpix

Just to clarify the above, the reason I pick xScope comes down to two things: speed dial and simplicity. For the first, I just can't live without SD. I need to be able to quickly hit favorites on the home page. For the second, xScope just has the simplest interface.

Is it the fastest? Probably slower than Opera. Most powerful? Certainly doesn't have flash like Skyfire. Expandable? No add-ons like Dolphin. But for overall browsing, xScope wins.

COUGAROID likes this.
  9. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

stock has the best combination of ui and speed. Lacks flash but it won't matter come 2.2.

Most of these 'browsers' are just reskinned stock browsers, like the yahoo browser of long ago for PCs. Opera mini has it's own actual browser, but it's made for slower devices than the Inc, and has no pinch to zoom, which is crucial.

Someday a real FF type browser will come along and blow everything else away, but until then the stock is the best.

10. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD. What I really like about it is that it's truly based on stock browser--and the good part is, if you use it on your Sense device, it'll carry over Sense features, like text select.

11. MisterMixelpix

Firefox is coming, remember fennec is in pre- alpha. Once that drops, it's all over.

Although Firefox's track record with resource management isn't exactly stellar.

12. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

Xscope owns all. I've used them all and I like it the best. My 2 cents.

13. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have to tell you this but Opera is the best.. still waiting for something better!

14. Chillout

Chillout Well-Known Member

I keep coming back to the stock browser. I like how SKyfire and Dolphin 3D operate but they just bog down and don't load up pages near as fast as the stock, for me.

15. inaz4sun

inaz4sun Well-Known Member

Yeah I discovered this with my special "data plan" that most other browsers are just reskinned stock browser that won't access using 3G on my plan. But Opera always will. Skyfire is good for its sometimes support for video/flash, but these things always cache a lot and take up memory.

16. UNCbassbone

UNCbassbone Member

I have tried all except skyfire, and here are my observations:

xScope is very good overall. Speed dial is very useful. Probably not as fast as opera*

Opera is very fast, when it wants to be. I have noticed that my on screen keyboard is completely lag-free.*However, opera seems pretty buggy. I often have to click links more than once, because the download bar will finish but the page won't change. Also, it doesn't always load the whole page. Would be my favorite if these issues were fixed.

Dolphin HD seems to be more aimed at being pleasing to the eye, but is not the fastest browser by any means. It has some nice features, but the browser itself takes up a lot of real estate.

17. UNCbassbone

UNCbassbone Member

I have tried all except skyfire, and here are my observations:

xScope is very good overall. Speed dial is very useful. Probably not as fast as opera*

Opera is very fast, when it wants to be. I have noticed that my on screen keyboard is completely lag-free.*However, opera seems pretty buggy. I often have to click links more than once, because the download bar will finish but the page won't change. Also, it doesn't always load the whole page. Would be my favorite if these issues were fixed.

Dolphin HD seems to be more aimed at being pleasing to the eye, but is not the fastest browser by any means. It has some nice features, but the browser itself takes up a lot of real estate.

Jeted likes this.
  18. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I just tried out Skyfire after reading about it here. I found a video on ESPN and tried to play it. Next thing I knew, my phone was rebooting. :(

19. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

It might be fast but it has problems rendering pages correctly and has poor zoom modes. "Shouldn't have to tell you", oh please. :rolleyes:

20. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I like Opera & Skyfire.

21. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

I use one that isnt even listed or mentioned in this post called Infinity, it works the majority of the time for the little bit of browsing I do on my phone.

22. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Skyfire flies like a supersonic rocket on my moment...

23. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

make this thread a poll?

COUGAROID likes this.
  24. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can a mod add one for me? I completely forgot.

25. backroaddrifter

backroaddrifter Member

Tried opera-not as good the windows version, tried dolphin-not bad but is to much like stock, tried skyfire-love it!! Except for the zoom. Overall the stock browser is what I use most. It's fast, stable and has pinch to zoom :)