Skype alternatives?

Last Updated: 2013-11-14 12:59:13
  1. Pinstripesc

Pinstripesc New Member

Ever since the latest update, Skype is totally unusable on my phone. I can't find an alternative that lets me communicate with Skype users - anyone know if there is one? I heard Nimbuzz sort-of-kind-of-not-really did at one point. I don't really care about video messaging, just text.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

Welcome to the forums!

Are you looking for something that functions as skype (using skype login, skype accounts, etc) or just a straight alternative?

I can think of quite a few that function well as alternatives, but none come to mind that work well logging into the skype service.
  3. Pinstripesc

Pinstripesc New Member

Thanks!

Yeah... All of my contacts are through Skype, so I can't really expect them to move to a new service. Skype's been pretty awful for me for awhile, but the latest update just broke it altogether.
  4. GuitarG20

Broke it in what way? It seems to still be working fine on my device... Mind mentioning what you're trying to use it on?
  5. Pinstripesc

Pinstripesc New Member

HTC Raider. Previously it would just freeze when people called me, then they fixed that, then it just crashed now and then and would sometimes freeze for up to 15 seconds while typing. Since the update about a week ago, it crashes pretty reliably when sitting in the background, sometimes when I 'minimize' it, sometimes for no particular reason while I'm in it. Needless to say its pretty unreliable.
  6. GuitarG20

Well I checked into the skype minimum settings and compared them to your phone's specs and it all looks good on that end. Have you tried submitting a bug report or contacting skype support to tell them about the problems you are having with the app? It might be a fruitless task, but I've had larger companies reply to me quickly so you never know.

Other than that, hopefully someone can chime in with another app that uses skype's backend.
  7. Pinstripesc

Pinstripesc New Member

Hm, spose I can shoot them a message. I reported it as a comment on their app page, but I don't imagine that makes much difference.

Thanks for the replies :)
  8. matt1994

matt1994 Well-Known Member

I know it's a late reply but still... I have skype on my phone too, and I use it one or twice a year. The best app for communicating for me is VIBER. You also have a computer version of the app just like skype. It is really easy to use and you won't use skype at all after downloading viber...
  9. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

I've got a Skype-like alternative called ooVoo on both my phone and my PC. It works well. You can import your contacts.

Hope that helps.