1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Skype and Fring

Last Updated:

1. SamFen

SamFen Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm a little confused about Skype on Android.

As I understand it, it's not really running Skype at all, it's just a fancy way to call their local Skype number, which you can actually do on any cell phone, right? So you still use minutes. If you make long-distance calls, you'll also use credits. If you make local-calls, I assume you don't? And do you use credit if you make Skype-to-Skype calls? What if someone Skypes you -- do you still use credit?

Second, can Fring really do real voip Skype calls? Just using my wifi and no minutes? Can I see all my Skype contacts? Can they see me?

If someone tries to Skype me, can I pick up using Fring?

Should I bascially just use Fring, because it actually does what you would expect Skype to do?

(I've never really used Fring before, so don't really know much about it)

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I'm interested as well.

From reading the Fring site, it seems you need to have a separate Fring account, so I think you cannot "pick up" Skype calls with a Fringe client.

3. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I tried Fring way back on my Maemo device and by analyzing the call against my PBX I decided that I didn't trust the app because of privacy concerns. There's a reason why it is free... I don't know about Skype on Android but if there is a native app and you have Skype buddies then that might be ok. However I prefer a standards based VoIP account and am currently using Sipdroid. With that I use VoIP for long distance calls since it is about 1/20th the cost compared to cell. It is simply worth a few pennies to have standards based VoIP instead of the free systems.

4. SamFen

SamFen Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else know if you can receive Skype-to-Skype calls from the Fring app?

5. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Yes and Nimbuzz as well :)