Skype begins to get a clue

Last Updated:

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator This Topic's Starter

Before this gets moved into a more general forum, I thought those of us that were using Skype with our FFCs for videochat would find this interesting:

Skype shelves call charges - The Register

Skype boosts results for exclusive operators - The Register

As I'd claimed - our Fring/Skype loss was all about the benjis, Skype hasn't been able to really find its legs with a business model with the cellcos - but that if you looked at gross revenue alone, it would prove to be the smart play.

With just a little luck - our videochat will be back.

Advertisement
    WaSTeLaNd likes this.
  2. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hope they do the thing's they're doing for iPhone with Android.

3. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

4. EarlyMon

Geez - I wonder if Fring knew about that? ;)

5. EarlyMon

I hope they do more - I've not verified, but I believe that the iP4 still lacks videocon with Skype.

6. rtmeikle

rtmeikle Well-Known Member

Does this release mean that any developer could create an Android app using the kit? Hopefully we'll get something soon!

7. EarlyMon

Sure sounds that way. Drilling into the links provided in the article via stainlessray:

More about SkypeKit

Certainly exposes the Fring debacle for exactly what it was - where Skype said that they objected to the way the Fring interface resulted in TOS violations, they meant "where's the money?" and where they charged:

(from - Fring-Skype iPhone slanging match: Telcos v freetards ? The Register)

Well - we'll just have to see, now won't we?

PS - Given that they've already announced an embedded Skype for videochats on at least a couple of Samsung TVs (yes, I said TVs) I would now like to have it back on a device whose primary purpose is full-duplex (read: 2-way) communication - my phone.

Dear Fring,

Get your act together with Skype.

Dear Skype,

Get your act together with Fring.

Dear Other Devs,

Please provide a sensible interface while we wait for Godot.

8. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

9. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

I'm sure on some level they either knew or it was leaked. My guess is there is an attempt by skype to get some cake from those who wish to use their "roads". Fring prolly said no, with the knowledge of this up and coming development. i can't find the article but i read a short time ago, that P2P apps were coming to all platforms, like the iphone app. and in fact the reason they state on their site for disabling skype lite (which we could use b4) was to concentrate on enhanced experiences for high end phones, like evo and the stuff soon to follow.
    that statement i paraphrased somewhat poorly i believe came from the skype CEO, at least a month ago, or thats when i read it anyway.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/skype-mobile-with-video-support-coming-to-android-market-later-t/

not the one i was looking for, but found this

10. EarlyMon

You paraphrased it well enough - the problem is Skype being unable to find a business model behind their butt even using both hands.

That article was from May 28 - here's one from June 1 saying they'd charge for it and split the cut with the cellcos - then the top link above is from today saying that they won't do that after all.

The trouble I have is that they seem to think it's not apparent to anyone following them that:
    • They're releasing information on this often
    • Their story doesn't stay consistent
    • If you've used their desktop client extensively, you notice that all of these announcements offer promise of technology (as if it's hard with their level of maturity), promising for the future - and are limited only to the mobile arena.

A few years back, I picked up something similar to this when I lived in Taiwan for a half-year:

Amazon.com: IPEVO S0-20 WiFi Phone for Skype: Electronics

It's wifi only, and can make voice calls to either your Skype contacts for free - or using Skype minutes, you can call landlines inexpensively. (That's just one hit I posted - these things go as low as $20 for a USB-wired version.[*])

I mention it because maybe people just aren't aware of how deep into phones Skype is already.

Skype's business model has always been to get as many users worldwide as possible and to make money on Skype minute-using calls to actual phone numbers - and that's an easy step to take for anyone who's learned to trust their VoIP and video services.

It's the cellcos that didn't like being cut out of the loop for those otherwise expensive calls.

And that's where penny wise and pound foolish comes in - as 3 in the UK learned, the for-pay mobile phone model doesn't work with Skype users - but offering them a stable Skype platform does - and those customers will tend to stick with a carrier and offer less churn.

It just drives people back to their desk/laptops where Skype account-to-account is free and calling a landline or cell - especially overseas - is just way cheaper.

You should have a good .5 Mbps up/down for really great video quality - but you can get by with less.

And unless you're calling outside the US or don't have unlimited calling, you're not going to use Skype, you'll use your cell phone.

And if the cell phone isn't attractive - you go to your desk. You do NOT pay a cellco for something that you can get for free (or super-cheap) just by scheduling your calls.

Skype seems to be finally learning this - and telling the cellcos, charge what you want, leave us out of it.

Gee, Skype - use the same model on super phones that has made you a mint on the desktop - what a freaking good idea!

~~~

[*] Yep! You can get a little $20 phone and make all of the Skype calls you want, via the net. No app on an expensive phone where you're still limited to wifi, no AT&T tariff - none of that.