1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Skype for Android. Huge disappointment!!!

Last Updated:

1. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 5, 2010
    Today I tried Skype on my HTC Evo 4g for the first time. I did not really need to use it until today because I am usually close to my computer. Well on wifi that is up to 12 megs/sec I was having problems ever 3 minutes. The skype call starts out good and than after 3 minutes it starts cycling through my running apps - meaning lockout and skype tabs. After about 30 seconds of doing this it shuts off the call and asks for force close. I tried 3 times and I gave up. The truth is I am glad they never incorporated video calling because it will be just as bad as their voice calling for the android.

On the other hand the Iphone app is pretty good because my friend who I was talking to in Norway had no problem with his lower bandwich. I have to congratulate skype on their incompetence and stupidity. You know what Fring made you idiots look good because the support for VOIP was going though them and sure enough skype were dumb enough to pull from Fring.

What are your experiences with skype? I would love to hear from some former Iphone users to compare with the android experience. I do not care for the video calling thing so please save it.

2. IndivisibleP

IndivisibleP Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Hmm, I am also having problems with skype but not the same. On my Nexus I have held multiple 30+min calls overseas that were clear and stable (maybe one dropped..)

But what I get on my nexus is that skype constantly signs out. After 5 or so minutes of not using it (although the skype symbol remains in the notification bar) it is actually offline and for all intents and purposes
  3. Jnewmnan83

Jnewmnan83 Active Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Considering it allows me to make my calls back home in the States while sitting at my favorite cafe here in Spain, thus allowing me to manage a business at the same time, I would say it's not a huge disappointment.

On the other hand the initial Verizon, non WiFi version that was released can be called a disappointment.