Skype for Droid X, Droid Incredible but not for Droid Evo?

Last Updated:

1. nu2android

nu2android Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity why is skype on those droid phones but not the Evo? I also noticed swype the kb everyone talks about but Evo users have to practically tweak and hack to get swype to work on their phones.

Just a curious question.

Advertisement
  2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Skype is officially available for Verizon phones only...
  3. scl23enn4m3

scl23enn4m3 Member

Why do people insist calling everything running android a 'Droid'? It's my latest pet peeve.
  4. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

"Droid" refers only to Verizon Android phones. It's their branding, but since it's the lion's share of the advertising for Android phones is from Verizon, it's caught on as shorthand for an Android phone. I get asked if my Evo is a Droid all the time. I don't bother correcting them any more.

As the other poster mentioned, Verizon has exclusive rights to Skype. Swype is licensed per manufacturer -- so Motorola has it on their phones as does Samsung, but HTC doesn't license it, so you have to get a hacked version for the Evo.
  5. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

The average person only knows what they hear in commercials or from what their friends (who don't know anything either) told them. Verizon capitalized on this first in the Android world so now we are stuck with it when dealing with the ignorant.
  6. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

Nope. "Droid" is trademarked by Lucas films and is licensed by Motorola for their phone. Verizon doesn't have anything to do with it, other than the fact that they made a deal with Motorola to sell the phone.
  7. Cobravision

You mean like the HTC DROID Incredible?

It was trademarked by Verizon, not Motorola.
  8. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

I was waiting with bated breath for the inevitable George Lucas reference. :D

In any case, from what I have read, it is being theorized that the developer(s) of Swype is/are more interested in vendor sales than individual sales via Market. It makes sense from a business standpoint, and may explain why Swype is beginning to show up as standard on VZW Android devices.
  9. nu2android

The call the Htc Incredible the Droid Incredible by HTC.
  10. nu2android

I just shortened it to droid, maybe should've spelled it with a small d instead of the capital to differentiate.

They're all Android phones to me. :D
  11. Tre Lawrence

Yes. The "Droid" moniker identifies it as a VZW exclusive Android device. No other carrier calls their Android devices Droids.
  12. AlkiDweller

It is not trademarked by Verizon It's trademarked by Lucas Films. My point is that Droid belongs to Lucas. It's used by phone manufacturers by permission from Lucas.

Look it up. Google is your friend.

Let me google that for you
  13. Cobravision

I meant licensed instead of trademarked. But whatever. You want to split any more hairs?

Did Google tell you that Motorola licensed it too?
  14. AlkiDweller

No. I got it from Motorola's web site.
  15. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

16. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

It's not a theory. It's on the swype website FAQ, lol.
  17. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

Is the Droid Evo a new phone?lol.
  18. aeiou

aeiou Well-Known Member

Pretty much, i even make my Evo say "Drrroooooooiiiiiiiiddddddd" for notifications. Makes people look at it all weird like "what kind of Droid is that" :D
  19. Tre Lawrence

I believe that FAQ is relatively new. The info I am quoting was from an interview I read way back.

In any case, you're right.