Skype (Fring)function via 3G ?Support

Last Updated:

1. McChicken

McChicken Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I am on my way of buying a X10 ( after first looked at the N1 then the Desire until I viewed the Video recording quality)
    anyway
    another important function for me is the be able to be logged into SKype directly or via Fring / Nimbuzz.
    however, I have not seen any report here in ALL this forum that talks about Skype....and especially over 3G....is anybody using Fring / Nimbuzz and can report about the voice quality please.

Advertisement
  2. ItsMyDesire

ItsMyDesire Member

ive only quickly used fring. but it worked when I tested calling a mobile number (using skype) from a wifi connection. their website says it should work with 3g or wifi.

impressive stuff, def a must for going abroad and using open wifi for cheap calls.

3. Mxtc

Mxtc Well-Known Member

I used Fring over 3G yesterday, I used X10 and the person on the other end was using Fring with N97 on 3G. The call quality was fair at best. not good. You will here some 'tunnel' sounds.

When i usually use Fring on 3G, calling to a skype participant on a computer or that person is a cell user, the call is a bit more clear but far inferior to a cellular voice call. (I just tested it out again for you :))

Again these things depend on how good your connection is..etc.

4. McChicken

McChicken Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you Guys, for taking the time and try things out.

all depends on how good the connection is....Yes 3G is not the best as it do have much more latency than normal W-Lan...however 3G is what I have to use when out of office, in car.....
    I had a Nokia Maemo N900 for a while it was quite OK, but had Bluetooth issues so only worked directly on handset, and N900 have a built in very good Skype App.
    I use Skype 90% regular phone 10% so it is quite important to me...
    thanks again...
    whatever info I can get will help out.