• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Skype Front Camera for Evo

I downloaded Skype the other day and logged on after almost 6 years of not logging on :p

Anyway...it got me thinking. Now I have a phone that has good speeds with 4G and Wifi and also a front Camera. Is it possible to use this front camera like a webcam that you can use with Skype on your computer?

I bought a new Compaq back in October but forgot to check if it had a webcam pre-installed which it didn't because it's cheap.

I know there are apps that can use your Android phone as a webcam, but is there any way to use the front cam as a webcam for Skype without a computer so I can do it on the go?

No Skype video for Evo yet, but it'll come sooner or later. I think the VZW Thunderbolt is supposed to launch with Skype video calling, so it'll probably be exclusive to that device/carrier for a bit. Of course, someone from the dev community will probably have the apk working on other devices before that exclusivity ends.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
No Skype video for Evo yet, but it'll come sooner or later. I think the VZW Thunderbolt is supposed to launch with Skype video calling, so it'll probably be exclusive to that device/carrier for a bit. Of course, someone from the dev community will probably have the apk working on other devices before that exclusivity ends.

Haha, I was just thinking that. It'd be nice and I wonder why it hasn't been done yet...guess cause the front camera feature is so new. Sure will be interesting to see and use.

Upvote 0

Right now Skype video chatting is exclusive to VZW. VZW has it set up so that using skype counts as talk minutes as well. Closest thing we have to skype is Tango and Qik.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Fring too...that's terrible. Oh well, thanks.

For the first week I had my Evo fring could still use skype as its video chat but shortly thereafter something happened between fring and skype developers and it was dropped. Tango does a semi-decent job for cross platform use if youre on wifi or 4G, 3G is horrendous but you cant really blame it since its the limitation of the technology.

Upvote 0
I think it'll be best when Google Talk video calling goes native on all versions of Android, as it is on Honeycomb now. That'll be the best way for all users to seamlessly use the feature across different carriers and platforms. All these different apps and services are just a drag

They really are. We can clearly see that between Skype and Fring. Hopefully something will happen because I am NOT switching to Verizon anytime soon or even just for Skype.

Upvote 0
I think it'll be best when Google Talk video calling goes native on all versions of Android, as it is on Honeycomb now. That'll be the best way for all users to seamlessly use the feature across different carriers and platforms. All these different apps and services are just a drag

That would be sweet.

Upvote 0
i find this a bit surprising because a girl i know has either a jailbroken ipod or deactivated iphone and has video called my pc using skype. actually, more disappointing than just surprising...

Was that via an iPhone 4 or the iPod Gen. 4? I doubt that jailbreaking it did anything to help using a camera for Skype though...Skype would have to install a button on their app to allow video chat from the Android/iOS device for it to work. Unless she used a third party app that connected to Skype online and just emulated to the device, then it could be possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones